Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Samsonwerk S.14

trajan

Not the best of examples of what was the most common S.14 maker, but only the second S.14 I have seen in Turkey, the other being a 'B.K. one. Still, despite its condition, I had to get it despite the price as it does have the original black-painted scabbard under that thinninsh coating of rust, and also a nice clear blade-spine fraktur 'G' and a less-clear 'A' on the left hand pommel, as usual with these babies!

Samsonwerk 01.jpg

Samsonwerk 02.jpg

Samsonwerk 03.jpg

Samsonwerk 04.jpg

Samsonwerk 05.jpg

Samsonwerk 05a.jpg

2 hours ago, trajan said:

Nicht die besten Beispiele für den am häufigsten verwendeten S.14-Hersteller, sondern nur den zweiten S.14, den ich in der Türkei gesehen habe, der andere war ein BK. Doch trotz seiner Bedingung, hatte ich es trotz des Preises zu bekommen , wie es die ursprüngliche schwarz lackierte Scheide unter dieser thinninsh Beschichtung von Rost, und auch eine schöne klare schaufel Wirbelsäule hat  fraktur  ‚G‘ und ein weniger klaren ‚A auf der linken Seite Knauf, wie bei diesen Babys üblich!

Samsonwerk 01.jpg

Samsonwerk 02.jpg

Samsonwerk 03.jpg

Samsonwerk 04.jpg

Samsonwerk 05.jpg

Samsonwerk 05a.jpg

that a nice wan here in holland they are rear findet fast now

Are the S14 bayonet's really scarce,? I see 98/05.  S98. And 84/98 common, but few  S14 and S15? Gottscho , and were they used in the Grear War?

13 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

Are the S14 bayonet's really scarce,? I see 98/05.  S98. And 84/98 common, but few  S14 and S15? Gottscho , and were they used in the Grear War?

Rare? Well, certainly uncommon. Most S.14 don't have flasguards and so their production was limited to November 1914, when originally commissioned, to August/September 1915. I can't give you exact figures, but the available data reveals Bavaria had some 13,000 by March 1915, and it seems likely that only 300,000 or so and not many more of these were ever produced. They certainly saw service in the Great War - in fact they were specially commissioned for this when the Prussian High Command realised that they didn't have enough bayonets (never mind rifles!) for the million men then being brought up to service standard. The so-called 'Gottchso', in fact a variant of the S.14, even rarer, but also issued in WW1. 

Julian

thank's Julian!