Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Saxon Model 1897 Reserve Foot Artillery Kugelhelm

kristiaan

hello,

I recently got this helmet out of the woodwork.

The helmet is in poor condition, but never messed with. The plate is original to the helmet, no extra holes in the leather helmet body.

Missing his cocardes and chinstrap, the neck flap came lose and the shellac layer is quiet damaged (cracked due to temperature and humidity changes).

I have been checking numerous dealer sites and couldn't find any similar helmet for sale at the moment!

Also didn't found any discussions, regarding a similar helmet, on other fora on witch I am active (pickelhaube forum, WAF, WRF and other French, Flemish/ Dutch and German fora).

Only Saxonia militaria who is specialized in helmet plates has one (number HP15 on his list on http://www.saxoniamilitaria.com/itemsforsale/helmetPlates/index.html ) and stated as "scarce plate", on witch I agree. You will find like 10 reserve officers  plates for one private reserve plate. The difference is the elaborated (or not elaborated, for private's!)crown.

My guess is that it is not a army issued helmet but a private purchase, due to the lack of markings in it (not any marking, not even a name).

Anyway the subject is open for discussion, any help is appreciated.

IMG_20190807_155604 (2).jpg

IMG_20190807_155614 (3).jpg

IMG_20190807_155624 (2).jpg

IMG_20190807_155635 (2).jpg

IMG_20190807_155722 (2).jpg

Hi 

how about

Lieb Grenadier Regt Nr 100 reserveoffizier

regards

Dave

Thanks for your help, but definitely no officers helmet.

Wrong liner, wrong kügel, and base retainers, and wrong shield.

Hello,

It's a Saxon artillery reservist's helmet (private or low NCO). I don't think it's a private purchase. It looks like normal issued helmet.

Jan

Thank for your input Jan.

The low NCO, possibility; makes sense.

I wasn't sure about that being a fact.

Hi

I believe that the plate is mismatched to the shell. The latter being artillery with the ball top.

if you have a look at Der Rittmeister militaria and also Kammerbulle they’re both saying the plate is infantry 

Dave

2 hours ago, Dave1418 said:

Hi

I believe that the plate is mismatched to the shell. The latter being artillery with the ball top.

if you have a look at Der Rittmeister militaria and also Kammerbulle they’re both saying the plate is infantry 

Dave

Why would that be? The plate is a typical Saxon reservist's plate. Those plates were used for all the different army branches.

Jan

Yes indeed! German helmet plates do not differ in design for artillery or infantry.

Only in color (silver(for example for pioneer) or gold (artillery and infantry and others)) and in size for other types of helmets (chapska, shako etc).

And the above do not apply for Saxe plates.

Here is one sold Saxe reserve artillery private helmet by Weitze some time ago (I believe it came from this forum!);

saxe_r10.png

On 08/08/2019 at 07:31, kristiaan said:

IMG_20190807_155604 (2).jpg

An absolutely beautiful helmet Kris. Great find. 

Edited by Jools mckenna