Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alexander Fraser (photo attached)

Sjack91

Good afternoon

I am wondering if anyone would have any further information on the following soldier Alexander Fraser who was born around 1888. In 1907 when he married Charlotte Paton he resided at 399 Mathieson Street in Glasgow. He was employed as a plasterer and his parents were Alexander and Jane. I don’t have much further information other than he had a son Thomas Paton Fraser who was born in 1911. The family were still residing in Mathieson street at that time. The picture attached is believed to be him and I have been told that he did die in the War however I have not been able to determine this. Any help with anything would be greatly appreciated.

regards 

Stuart

AA1EE0E5-00AB-48F9-AF33-9A62752BD86A.jpeg

There is a tree on Ancestry

Family

Parents

Siblings

Spouse & Children

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/28570869/person/12075265363/facts

if you have a subscription.

It does not have any service record attached to him.

Looking further

George

He is not the Alexander Fraser with a service record on FMP KSOB #26129-wrong wife!

George

• Admin

According to this pension record on FMP he served in the Royal Field Artillery as L/6836 and was KIA on 9/8/1916. All the children are listed and address is 399 Mathieson St Glasgow

Link here

Edit: CWGC has him as a Driver in A Battery 159th Brigade and he has no known grave.https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/750030/fraser,-alexander/

Thiepval Memorial

image.png.f62b3de29cd8ecf8349f3f1b722402aa.png

George

All

This is fantastic information and really gives me something to work on.

I have also found from the information you have provided that he is listed on the Evening Times roll of honour and there is an article which not only has information but also has a photograph. I will go in tomorrow to the Mitchell Library to see the paper on Microfisch and report my findings.

Excellent work and thank you for a great effort

Stuart

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:41, DavidOwen said:

According to this pension record on FMP he served in the Royal Field Artillery as L/6836 and was KIA on 9/8/1916. All the children are listed and address is 399 Mathieson St Glasgow

Link here

Unfortunately I do not have a FMP  membership (only ancestry and 3 fold ancestry)

Could anyone assist with the name his fourth child.

I have Augusta Paton Fraser born 12/10/1907, Alexander Fraser 19/10/1909 and Thomas Paton Fraser born 1/12/1911 however I am struggling to find the name of the fourth child.

Any help would be appreciated

Stuart

David this is invaluable information. It means that a 5th child was born after he had died and the birth certificate confirms that. Is there any other information on that document ie address?

stuart