Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

566 Works Coy RE

My Grandfather was a 2nd Corporal in 566 Works Coy RE.  He was discharged with the  Silver war badge in 1919 as being unfit to contiue in the Army.  As a family we believe that he was gassed, hospitalized and RTU'd before discharge.  He died in 1926 of complications to his lungs. 

Has anyone got any diaries relating to 566?.  We have his Silver War Badge number (no badge).

Commando,

Welcome to the Forum. I am not the expert you seek, but to get the ball rolling, you may find this post of interest: 

But we really need his personal details: full name, DOB and army number, if you have it.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

Hi Commando,

Welcome to the Forum.

40 minutes ago, Commando said:

Has anyone got any diaries relating to 566?

The RE Museum has a 'summary' diary for a short period of time. I don't know what level of detail it would contain.

image.png.1fd110f1659ad594d7ca3bf33b23c439.png

Image sourced from the RE Museum

17 minutes ago, Acknown said:

But we really need his personal details: full name, DOB and army number, if you have it.

His SWB number may help too.

Regards

Chris

On 06/08/2019 at 20:36, Commando said:

My Grandfather was a 2nd Corporal in 566 Works Coy RE.  He was discharged with the  Silver war badge in 1919 as being unfit to contiue in the Army.  As a family we believe that he was gassed, hospitalized and RTU'd before discharge.  He died in 1926 of complications to his lungs. 

Has anyone got any diaries relating to 566?.  We have his Silver War Badge number (no badge).

NRN is 519158 Second Corporal H McQuinn RE 566 (Wilts) Works Company.  According to NA  he entitled to War Medal and Victory medal as well as the Silver War Badge No B123105 issued 24/01/1919.  Hope this helps.  Information recieved is Chatham was informed on 08/02/1919.

Edited by Guest

I can't add much more. I suspect that you have seen his MIC (here it is on Ancestry: H MCQUINN MIC) but I can't find a medal roll entry and nothing comes up on a Silver Badge search for that number or for 'McQuinn'. Others may do better.

Your best bet seems to be the RE Museum: https://www.re-museum.co.uk/.

Acknown 

The MIC on ancestry is actually the index card to his Silver War Badge, which states:

MCQUINN Harry,

R.E. 566th Works Co,

reg no 519158,  

2/Cpl,

discharged 24th Jan 1919,

enlisted 5th July 1915,

cause of discharge: P 392 (xvi) KR, S.

xvi means he was (xvi) "No longer physically fit for war service" & in practice was used for men who were discharged on medical grounds having been wounded or taken seriously ill.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/campaign-medal-records/records-of-the-silver-war-badge/

The entry in the Royal Engineers UK Silver War Badge Record states:

519158 2/Cpl McQuinn Harry, 566th Wilts Works Co,

Silver War Badge no B123105,

enlisted 5th July 1915, discharged 24th Jan 1919

cause of discharge para 392 XVI Sickness,

no overseas service.

I could find no further medal records which would agree with the comment on SWB record of no overseas service. The number 33 in the record seems to be his age.  It varies from man to man & all are within that of men of a military age, with a few older such as a 48 year old.

This wikipedia page says "566th Company do not seem to have served overseas, but will have supplied drafts to front line units".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorsetshire_and_Wiltshire_Fortress_Royal_Engineers#565th_(Wiltshire)_Army_Troops_Company

Has a pension card on fold3:

Husband: McQUINN, Harry died 12th Feb 1929 R.E. no 519158  Cpl

widow: McQUINN Ada, 172 Languard Road, Portsmouth.

first entry FA [first application ?] M.. ........ 6th March 1926

last entry PA [pension awarded ?] 4th Aug 1926

inbetween these dates two entries for appeals on 31st March & 14th April