Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl 1501 Henry W Bolam RAMC.

david west

Can anyone help with info about this soldier - Cpl 1501 Henry W Bolam who served with the R.A.M.C during the Great War, he was awarded the BWM & Victory Medal. Henry was born in Darlington in 1897 & died in Yorkshire in 1947. Any info about his service would be appreciated,

Thanks,

David

David, I believe that the Durham County Records Office hold the Darlington Absent Voters List, this may contain some unit details for Henry

J

There is a medical record for him which gives his unit as 4/2 N F A (N ? Field Ambulance) which I can't track down.  The record is for a 3 week hospital stay in Catterick Military Hospital with lumbago.  Doesn't really help.

Max

His service record-burnt- is here on FMP

First name(s) H W
Last name Bolam
Birth year -
Service number 1501
Regiment -
Unit / Battalion 2nd Field Ambulance
Series WO 363
Series description Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'
Archive
The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain, UK None

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7295951%2F40%2F895

Which may not help a stamped 1939!

George

Edited by George Rayner

FWR has Northumberland rather than Northumbrian?

George

12 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Northumbrian Field Ambulance 

Don't know how my search of Field Ambulances missed that!!  Although 4/2 doesn't compute! 2 N F A known to its friends as 86 FA in 28 Division (source LLT)..

Looks like the way to go is to apply for his records which, as Chris finds, are still with MOD.  The annotation RA adds up with the fragment which is a RA Record office fragment.  There is another service number on the doc cited by Dave above, 388127 with RAMC written alongside.   This was the 1917 renumbering for 2 Northumbrian Field Ambulance.

No medal card apparent?

Max

• Admin
1 hour ago, MaxD said:

No medal card apparent?

Max

The Roll is here and the mic here

I'd agree 4/2 does not compute for overseas service, the fragment of his record shows he served in the 50th Division Signals (TF) probably an attachment.

Therefore it looks like 2/2 FA 50th (Northumbrian) Division is a better fit for overseas service.  I don't know if there was a 4th or Reserve line for the 2nd (Northumbrian) FA but it's possible and that is where he may have been posted when admitted to hospital.

Ken

Agree that 2/2 a better likelihood than 1/2 although again his record would confirm/deny.

1/2 became 86 FA 28th Division in France Jan-Oct 1915 then Salonika to 1919.

2/2/ France Apr 1915 - 1918.

Max

Wow, thanks to all the members for their input, amazing work. I will also pass this info on to Barbera (Bjanman) from the RAMC site,

Many thanks,

David

• 2 months later...

Hi David,

I don't know if this is any use to you but I recently bought a box of mixed items from a local auction. In the bottom of the box was a great war for civilization medal that was awarded to 1501 H.W Bolam. A quick Google search and I come across this site. I would really like to return this to this gentlemen's family. Can you provide any info on how I can do this please? 

Thanks

Phil 

4 minutes ago, Phil Y said:

Hi David,

I don't know if this is any use to you but I recently bought a box of mixed items from a local auction. In the bottom of the box was a great war for civilization medal that was awarded to 1501 H.W Bolam. A quick Google search and I come across this site. I would really like to return this to this gentlemen's family. Can you provide any info on how I can do this please? 

Thanks

Phil 

15710798263955070919817854205572.jpg