Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rev Oswald William Charles Blogg Royal Naval Division padre

Richard2439

I'm researching the story of the Rev Oswald William Charles Blogg (changed his name in 1919 to de Blogue). I have a lot of info about him, inluding copy papers for his service in the RND. The dates on these can be very confusing so I'm wondering if anyone can help me tie these down. Also what was the 1st Brigade doing and where was it while he was with them? His lengthy Who's Who entry says '1st SCF, 1916, to RND'. I take 1st SCF to mean Senior Chaplain to Forces but he hardly warranted such a title as a humble 'acting chaplain for temporary service'. He claimed sevice as an RAF chaplain towards the end of WW2 but so far I've not been able to confirm this. Nevertheless he's a very interesting character - member of the Magic Circle and a ventriloquist who used a ukelele in his act. No doubt he could keep the troops entertained!

Blogg 1916 RND record card-b.jpg

18 minutes ago, Richard2439 said:

The dates on these can be very confusing

The dates on the left of each entry are the dates upon which the following information/report was received by the RND Record Office in London.

Appointed to 1st Naval Brigade RND  on 16 Jan 16, he did not actually join the RND at Mudros (Lemnos), via Alexandria, until 1 Apr 16 and was sent for duty with 1st Field Ambulance there.  After the RND transferred to the BEF in mid-May 1916 he was attached to the RND HQ. He remained with the HQ until mid-September 1916 when he was transferred back to UK for duty at HMS COLLEEN and left the RND.

• spof changed the title to Rev Oswald William Charles Blogg Royal Naval Division padre