Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Walter Matthews 13 Hussars MM KIA 28-4-1918

Deborah Nobbs

I am researching the memorials in the Royal Garrison Church of All Saints, Aldershot.  The one I am currently working on is for the 13 Hussars during World War One.

One name I've come across is Sergeant Walter Matthews who was Killed in Action on 28 April 1918 in Mesopotamia.  It also says he was awarded the Military Medal.

Does anyone have any more information on this and perhaps a picture of him?

Thanks   

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Deborah

I have edited your post title so as to hopefully attract more interest for you.

Good luck with your research

David

History of 13th Hussars is available free here and gives several refs to Sgt Matthews incl his

1277945244_GWFMatthewsW13HussarsHistRefs.JPG.d34225235e5bf014b69ee572c2c3db9f.JPG

Charlie

eg p249 award of medals

1247577682_GWFMatthewsW13HussarsHistpp249.JPG.f4a08fb58d069be8be1b17ea791d79aa.JPG

p354 his death

582374988_GWFMatthewsW13HussarsHistpp354.JPG.98281850d441143f29d0bb34a73986a8.JPG

Edited by charlie962

Soldiers died in the Great War has him born Eaton and resident St Neots.

He does indeed crop up on the St Neots War Memorial.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Huntingdonshire/StNeots.html

On the 1911 Census of "England & Wales" the 26 year old Lance Corporal Walter Matthews, single and born Eaton, Bedfordshire, was recorded in barracks at Meerut, India with the 13th Hussars. (Overseas military units were included unless there was an equivalent local census for a part of the British Empire). Given his age he may well have been a recalled reservist by the time Britain declared war. On the 1891 Census the 7 year old Walter Matthews, born Eaton, Bedfordshire, was recorded living with his parents, John, (aged 31, Brewers Drayman, born Keysoe, Bedfordshire) and Susan, (aged 30, born Bedfordshire) at Bedford Street, St Neots, Huntingdonshire. The couple also have an older son, Arthur, (aged 10, born Bedfordshire). There is no obvious match for Walter on the 1901 Census of England & Wales, but his parents were now living at Huntingdon Street, St Neots. As well as sonm Arthur they have two younger children, Rose, (9) and Frank, (3) - both born St Neots. On the 1911 Census of England & Wales the family were back on Bedford Street, St Neots. John Thomas Matthews, (51, a Merchants' Horsekeeper Foreman) and Susan Matthews, (49), have been married 30 years and have had 4 children, all then still alive.

What seemed the best bet for a birth record was that of a Walter George Matthews, mothers' maiden name Cade, was registered with the Civil Authorities in the District of Bedford in the July to September quarter, (Q3), of 1883.

The Bedford Civil Registration District included the civil parish of Eaton Socon.

https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/bedford.html

However the birth records for Arthur, Rose Ethel and Frank all show the mother's maiden name as Partridge and all were registered in the St Neots District. There is also a Walter Matthews, mothers' maiden name Partridge, whose birth was registered in the St Neots District in the April to June quarter of 1883 - it would appear he was not registered in the District where he was born.

There is no obvious Soldiers Will or Civil Probate for Walter.

The Army Register of Soldiers Effects, available on Ancestry, will hopefully firm up the strong likelihood that the right family has been identified - it should show who the balance of his pay and his war gratuity went to.

Hope that helps,

Peter

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:38, charlie962 said:

Hello Deborah,

London Gazette dated 10/4/18 says MM to Sgt, 6725, 13th Hussars, for Mesopotamia.

Charlie

Thank you all for your assistance.

I'll let you know if I have any more queries.

If you have never been to the Royal Garrison Church of All Saints, Aldershot, it's well worth a visit.

Debbie