Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help With Group Photo

Buz

Ladies and Gents

Was hoping that someone may be able to assist/confirm the Regiments of the Officers/SNCO seen in the attached Photo. I have undertaken some research but drawn a blank on 4 of them and was hoping the knowledgeable might be able to confirm my identifications, and advise the Units of those I have listed as Unknown. I was advised that the photo was taken at The School of Musketry in 1916, and comes from a recently purchased DVD of 18th HLI and 5th Cameron Pictures, very few have captions of any value.

Numbered 1-6 standing (Left to Right), and 7-10 sitting (left to right), I have have the following:

1: HLI

2: Leicestershire Regiment

3: Cambridge Regiment

4: Probably HLI

5: South Staffordshire Regiment

6: A&SH

7: Probably Cameron Highlanders

8: Possibly Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment

9: School of Musketry

10: Scottish Horse.

Any assistance given gratefully received so I can Caption and add some additional information of value (Photo attached as per original sizing for zooming purposes)

Best regards

Buz

PHOTOS (167).jpg

Edited by Buz

10 appears to be Scottish Horse.

Scott

• Admin

8 could be Notts and Derbys

Scott and Michelle

Thank you for the additional information, I've edited the original Post.

I had a thought that maybe No.7 might be 18th HLI or 5th Cameron, the Album pages has the notation "Dad Bottom L", as the Photo Album is 18th HLI and 5th Cameron would either Unit fit the Uniform shown?

Regards

Buz

Edited by Buz

The cap badge on 7 looks to be that of the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)- not Cameron Highlanders. It doesn't look to be a HLI badge.

Scott 

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

Scott

That would fit with the 5th Camerons. Here are close ups of the two gents involved, if it helps any........Looking closer at the Collar badge on No.4 seems to have a raised Centre to the badge as does the Cap badge

Buz

1.jpg

2.jpg

Edited by Buz

7 looks to be a 2nd Lieutenant with a wound stripe. That may help to confirm date. See here-

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/tips-for-interpreting-photographs-of-men-in-uniform/whats-that-on-his-sleeve-a-wound-stripe/

4 looks to be HLI. (Here is the cap badge). The raised section is the bugle horn of the badge.

Scott

HLI cap badge.JPG

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

Scott and Michelle

Thanks again to both of you - I'll update all the info and Caption the photo accordingly. Thanks for the further info on the wound strip I'll follow that up.

I've placed a few of the photos with Captions on my flickr page, if you wish to take a look, or use them as reference material.  I'll leave them up for the next few days as public before removing them

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33898088@N05/

Regards

Buz

Edited by Buz

No2 of the Leicesters has a nice commercial set of mills equipment on, great photograph. 

7 appears to have black buttons, which would fit the Scottish Rifles.

Cheers, Pat

Thanks again all, I have added an un-captioned copy of the photo to the above flickr page if anyone wants it for reference (6mb JPG), as well as a few more captioned photos

Regards

Buz

Great photo!  To corroborate the lattermost IDs the Cameronian’s Officer (black buttons) has no collar badges, as is correct, and the HLI Officer is confirmed by a single collar badge (the other being absent).

Edited by FROGSMILE

What a fantastic photo.

Without any evidence whatsoever I'd guess that No 1's from the ranks?

58 DM.

On 6 August 2019 at 10:02, Buz said:

Ladies and Gents

Was hoping that someone may be able to assist/confirm the Regiments of the Officers/SNCO seen in the attached Photo. I have undertaken some research but drawn a blank on 4 of them and was hoping the knowledgeable might be able to confirm my identifications, and advise the Units of those I have listed as Unknown. I was advised that the photo was taken at The School of Musketry in 1916, and comes from a recently purchased DVD of 18th HLI and 5th Cameron Pictures, very few have captions of any value.

Numbered 1-6 standing (Left to Right), and 7-10 sitting (left to right), I have have the following:

1: HLI

2: Leicestershire Regiment

3: Cambridge Regiment

4: Probably HLI

5: South Staffordshire Regiment

6: A&SH

7: Probably Cameron Highlanders

8: Possibly Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment

9: School of Musketry

10: Scottish Horse.

Any assistance given gratefully received so I can Caption and add some additional information of value (Photo attached as per original sizing for zooming purposes)

Best regards

Buz

PHOTOS (167).jpg

Is No 1 (standing rear left with cigarette) HLI or RH?

Trews and RH like cap badge make me think 9 HLI....

58 DM