Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map Needed: Eastern Galicia, Ukraine

emrezmen

Hello,

I'm after detailed maps of the South Berezhany area (see image below) in Eastern Galicia where the Ottoman 15th Army Corps fought in 1916-17. Especially the maps showing hill altitudes would be most useful. I know there's little interest on this obscure part of the war, but hoping there may be someone on the forum who could help. 

Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Emre

Edited by emrezmen

Thank you, Charlie. I know those sources, they're amazing, but I'm rather looking for topographic maps (sorry for not telling in the beginning). Still I'll check them again.

Thank you again for your help. They're not exactly what I was looking for, but they'll be useful for general use. In the meantime I've found some Russian maps which are very detailed: https://maps.vlasenko.net/ua/ternopilska/berezhanskyj/potutory/ In Turkish sources, hills generally named after their altitudes, and the area seems quite complicated, thus I needed that type of maps.

Regards

• 3 months later...

This map from the regimental history of Saxon IR 473 / 241. Inf. Div. may be helpful. My great-grandfather was with the divisional artillery regiment, FAR 48, and fought in this sector in summer 1917.

IR473_Lysonia.jpg.c888ad31fe33f776cf710b94cfc13ab4.jpg

Thanks for that. Will certainly be helpful. I wish to express my respect for your great-grandfather. 

Regards

When I did a little research for a relative serving with an Austrian unit I found a most excellent resource absolutely rammed with maps plans and diagrams also nicely translated into English. Standby whilst I link it here.

Ok click this link.

http://www.comroestudios.com/StanHanna/

Edited by Martin Feledziak

Thank you. This is basically the Aus-Hun official history which I already have. Great stuff. I'll check it out again.

Edited by emrezmen

1 hour ago, emrezmen said:

history

55 minutes ago, David Filsell said:

great resource

Yes a fantastic work by Mr Hana. Very well presented and what a gift. Clearly without the translation I would have no clue.

i was able to track a great uncle who was part of IR89.

He survived WW1 but was murdered at Katyn.