Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Charles Albert Nunn RFA MM

Michelle79

Gunner (later Sgt) Charles Albert Nunn service no 2819 of the RFA was awarded the Military Medal.  At some point the citation and medal were lost and it just became a story in his family that he was awarded the military medal for saving a wounded officer's life by carrying him to safety while under fire.  His family would love to know the truth behind the family tale.  I've managed to confirm that he was indeed awarded the MM (it's listed on a couple of medal cards and I've found it mentioned on pg 56 of the 17th Sep 1917 edition of the London Gazette) but I can't find any detail on the reason behind it.  I know so many were awarded that the likelihood of detail is always low - just in case I searched online newspapers anyway but no luck so far.  The last thing I wanted to check was the appropriate war diary even although I know changes are slim for an explanation there too but I can't work out which one I should be looking in since his brigade isn't given on any of the medal cards - just that he was in the Royal Field Artillery for which of course there are a plethora of diaries.  Is there any way it can be worked out using his service number or other means?  I now know the four figure number indicates TF service and it should have been transposed into six figures by the spring of 1917 but the six figure number is not listed on any of the medal cards and his service record doesn't appear to have survived.  I've tried to find service records for men with numbers close to his but there's an issue with other soldiers having the exact same four digit service numbers.  I found another three with 2819 just like Charles that I presume belong to men from other brigades in the RFA.  If anyone could give me any advice on what else to try or whether it's just not possible to find any more I'd be grateful.  Thanks.

• Admin
49 minutes ago, Michelle79 said:

I now know the four figure number indicates TF service and it should have been transposed into six figures by the spring of 1917 but the six figure number is not listed on any of the medal cards and his service record doesn't appear to have survived. 

A four-figure number does not necessarily denote TF service.

It could be a number from the number series used by the regulars or a number series used by one of the units raised during the war.

Regards

Russ

Hi Michelle

Just so I am looking at the same man...Can you post some family details? Sometimes turns up trumps.

Regards Barry 

Edited by The Inspector

His Medal Index card says landed France 27/7/15

This ties up with the approx date that the 18th division landed in France so quite possibly he was with them from the start ?

Charlie

The LG 30287 p 9610 of September 1917 shows that his nok was from Ashtead. The local papers for there may have a report. It was quite common for men to be presented with their medals by the Mayor at the Town Hall in 1918 or 1919. The MM index card on FMP shows that he was in 18 Div Ammunition Column and he is mentioned in the War Diary dated 14/07/1917. WO 95/2026/2 - On Ancestry in Browse under Div Ammunition Columns - 18 Div - page 106/184.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

As RussT says, his number could come from the Regular series. This would put him arriving at No. 4 Depot RFA, Woolwich on September 1 or 2, 1914.

His MIC has an entry date in France of July 27, 1915. If he was not in a draft this would most likely be with 84th Brigade RFA or 18th Divisional Ammunition Column.

Charlie and Brian have just confirmed 18th DAC. (Thanks Charlie and Brian).

Edited by David Porter

2 hours ago, The Inspector said:

Hi Michelle

Just so I am looking at the same man...Can you post some family details? Sometimes turns up trumps.

Regards Barry 

Hi Barry - yes of course.  He was born Albert Charles Nunn in Kingston-on-Thames, Surrey in 1886 (although first and middle names were reversed for most of his life) and his parents were George Nunn and Ann Long. He married Kate Francis in 1909 and they lived in Thames Ditton at the time of the 1911 census.  He attested in Kingston-on-Thames on 1st Sep 1914 according to Surrey Recruitment Registers.  Thanks, Michelle

Thanks Charlie, Brian and David.  I found three other medal cards for him but missed the MM one which gave the 18th DAC information.  Thanks a lot for the help.  Much appreciated.  It looks like the family story got a bit garbed but so many do.

Edited by Michelle79

Hi Michelle and all,

Family info..apologies if you have this.....looks like he was born 1st Feb, 1885 (1939 register although b. cert, ? Reg'd 2a, 365 Kingston. 1886 1st qtr). d. 1959 Surrey, 5g,177. House Painter, 1911 ,  1913 still at 7 Prospect Place, 1925, 187 Kingston Rd., Leatherhead, 1939 Register 3 Nightingale Villas, Guidford, Surrey, A Painter Living with 2 other males, both Painters. One of them, Herbert Godwin's father Henry also lived in Kingston rd.in 1911. So friends of Albert.

A number of family trees on Ancestry but NONE of them have Albert Charles' military service listed...he deserves the recognition. 

Can only find a photo of his brother Leonard Walter b.26.6.1888 and one of his wife Kate Lovett.

Leonard Walter Nunn

Have sent a PM to one of the tree owners in UK.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi Barry,

Yes I have all of that but thanks for looking anyway and I agree he deserves the recognition.  He is remembered though - I'm in touch with his grandson who dearly wanted to know the truth about the MM; the medal itself and citation were somehow lost many years ago so he just wanted to know that he definitely got it and how it came about (e.g. whether or not the family tale that he got it for carrying a wounded officer to safety under fire was correct). 

Thanks,
Michelle