Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Goodsoutherntimes

WWI Photo Significance and identification

Goodsoutherntimes

Looking for information on this photo and what significance it has.  From what I can tell it appears to be a French ambulance driving and people waiting for soldiers to find them.  Maybe after the war?

What time/place is this picture taken.  Has been kept in excellent condition for many years by my grandfather and is framed.

4C9DD634-8D34-4D87-A4BB-1631A1F7DB0C.jpeg

Cheshire22

Any details on the back of the photograph 

Looks like American Soldiers on the right of the photograph 

pierssc

Might he have been in it?

Goodsoutherntimes

I will check the back.  No he was WW2 drill sarge.

This appears to be WWI

chaz

.next obvious question,  grandfather or great uncle in it?

Waddell

What is the symbol on the bottom left of the photograph (partially covered by the frame)?

It has an ID number that may be relevant.

Looks like American troops moving past French troops on the left.

Scott

robins2
3 hours ago, Waddell said:

What is the symbol on the bottom left of the photograph (partially covered by the frame)?

Scott

symbol possibly signal corps , appears to be one of the crossed flags symbol of signal corps??

3 hours ago, Waddell said:

Scott

symbol possibly signal corps , appears to be one of the crossed flags symbol of signal corps??

Waddell

I think you are right Robins. They US Army Signals Corps appear to have a museum too-

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/9790/US-Army-Signal-Corps-Museum.htm

Goodsoutherntimes, It might be worth contacting them to see if it is from their collection. You never know.

Failing that you could also have a look through some of the older books with lots of photographs covering the American involvement as it doesn't look like a personally taken photograph,

Scott

US Signals Corps.JPG

Waddell

Going out on a limb here GST.

If you visit this site-

http://www.32nd-division.org/history/ww1/32-ww1.html

There are a lot of images credited to the US Army Signal Corps sourced from a book "US Official Pictures of the World War"  and the National Archives-

Moore, William and Russell, James.  U.S. Official Pictures of the World War - Showing America's Participation.  Washington, DC: Pictorial Bureau, 1920

That is another place you could look. I suspect your photograph is from a collection.

Scott 

Glengarry1950

On the left there are a mixture of Military and civilians, male and female, and they all appear to be relaxed. None of the military are armed or carrying equipment and the troops are a mixture of French and American. The civilians are in light clothing and as hostilities ended in November in Europe, I would suggest a warmer climate location!?

The troops on the left appear to be French officers, in the middle left French troops seated with steel helmets and American officers standing, and further up French troops milling about.

Clearly a Hospital or Aid station on the left with nurses on view.

The troops marching down the street are American fully armed and in battle dress, they appear to be making their way to join others out of view having just disembarked? There are baggage carts assembled on the left with American soldiers standing by them.

Looking into the distance of the photograph, I get the impression that this is a rail head and some sort of clearing station location where troops are disembarking and assembling, after hostilities have ended, prior to be cleaned up issued new clothing prior to being transported home.

Just a thought.

Hiram

Edited by Glengarry1950