Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Sarajevo car from Heeresgeschichtliches Museum Vienna

depaor01

Went there last month with my young lad. The Sarajevo car and Franz Ferdinand uniform is worth the admission fee.

Being near the car alone sent tingles up my spine...

Dave

DSC_0320.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

Thanks for sharing Dave, its amazing that the car has survived the chaos of the last century. Interesting to note that it is right hand drive.

Charlie

1 minute ago, charlie2 said:

Thanks for sharing Dave, its amazing that the car has survived the chaos of the last century. Interesting to note that it is right hand drive.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie.  Never spotted it was right hand drive!

Also looking online I am reminded that the registration plate is A111118. Date of the armistice.  Flippin hell.

Dave

I am sure I heard that the car did not have a reverse which contributed to the calamity/death. Someone could put me right on that do doubt....

Dear Dave,

I visited the Army Museum in Vienna a few years ago, and remarked at the solidity of the front-right mudguard! I was also astounded at the diminutive Pistols on nearby display, which had been taken from the assassin and his cohorts: looking like small plastic toy Pistols!

Yes, I believe the absense of a reverse gear contributed to the calamity - the driver having made a wrong turning, due to a lack of briefing and coordination by his superiors. Hindsight is easy, however: the wretched Gavrilo Princip had two lucky shots, each proving equally fatal. 

The blood-soaked uniform of the Crown Prince, expertly displayed near the car, is indeed impressive. 

I also saw an original Otto Schiele (a brilliant and world-renown Austrian artist who died of the Spanish influenza epidemic), hanging in an upstairs gallery of the Museum - and was able to gaze at it at length, with not a soul around! It depicts Leutnant Heinrich Wagner in 1917, wearing the Austrian Militär-Verdienstmedaille (also called 'Signum Laudis' - a sign of praise).

Kindest regards,

Kim.1454483830_EgonSchiele-Portrait-scetchofSecondLieutenantHeinrichWagner-(MeisterDrucke-607656).jpg.8fbb2b5e0f20b35a6834ee3c55e0d557.jpg220px-Signum_laudis_KuK_136494072.jpg.4b01a5a081d45da2d71bfcfcbe9fd7de.jpg