Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Cross

kemp52

Hello All ,I am trying to locate the records of a certain  Soldier ,William James  George Osborn ,born 1898 in Aldbourne Wiltshire. England .  It is said that he lied about his age to enter the Great War and that he may have been in a Cavalry Regiment as family history says his Horse was shot from under him and  he went on to win the Military Cross ?  His employment in 1911 was a Ploughboy so he had experience of Horses . I would be most grateful if you could find anything that would piece together this family story . Best Wishes ,Andy Kemp.

He was not commissioned as " William James  George Osborn "

So if he were to have been commissioned it would have had to have been using only one or two of his christian names, which gives a lot of searching to do, and even at arriving at an answer would not necessarily be conclusive that it was your man

And as far as I can see he was not Gazetted out as "Osborn M.C"

He is in London Gazette with an job as a Postman in late 1930s, and in 1939 Register, living in Bournemouth - wife Violet and he is a postman

Do you have his 1919 marriage cert, and if so what does it give as his occupation, he may still have been a soldier

Hello All , thankyou for your replies. I will try to locate his marriage Certificate. He certainly lived in Bournemouth in later years  ,I am also wondering as to why he was in the London Gazette in the late 1930s?

4 minutes ago, kemp52 said:

I am also wondering as to why he was in the London Gazette in the late 1930s?

See London Gazette - click

Basically he got a job as a postman, and they put these things in LG in those days

17 hours ago, kemp52 said:

Hello All ,I am trying to locate the records of a certain  Soldier ,William James  George Osborn ,born 1898 in Aldbourne Wiltshire. England .  It is said that he lied about his age to enter the Great War and that he may have been in a Cavalry Regiment as family history says his Horse was shot from under him and  he went on to win the Military Cross ?  His employment in 1911 was a Ploughboy so he had experience of Horses . I would be most grateful if you could find anything that would piece together this family story . Best Wishes ,Andy Kemp.

Hi Andy

Be careful about family stories that have come down through the generations...I know from doing my own family history the stories can differ widely and disappointingly from documented evidence.

Please don't think I am demeaning him, but my first though is that it is highly unlikely a plough boy enlisting under age would have risen through the ranks to be a Warrant Officer or above even by the time the war ended...it may not be impossible, but highly unlikely. There may well be an interesting story to be found, but I doubt a Military Cross is involved.

He seems to have married Violet Crew in 1919....interestingly they may have sailed to Malta in 1924...do you know anything about that?

Edited by sadbrewer

How about the Military Medal?

No exact matches under Osborn, but a few Williams, Jameses and Georges under Osborne.

This information has trickled down  by family say so  stories etc.. it not appears from todays family chats that the Medal was not the Military Cross as first thought but the DCM It also appears that he served after the Great War and also in India as Sgt Major ,Colour Sgt or something like that.

We are getting somewhere now

Ancestry has a searchable list of DCM and under Osborn

View Record W.H.M. Osborn 11 Mar 1920 6045 East Surrey Regiment Camberwell mag_m.gif
View Record W. Osborn 4 Mar 1918 16678 Princess Charlotte of Wales's (Royal Berkshire) Regiment Aldbourn mag_m.gif

View Record

F.L. Osborn

26 Jan 1918

Northamptonshire Regiment

Olney

dcm.jpg.64d80054055155481095b300e41e8579.jpg

Edited by corisande

And his MIC shows that he also serve in Dorsetshire Regt

Medal card of Osborn, William
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Berkshire Regiment 16678 Private
Dorsetshire Regiment 47172 Private

I don't know if you are aware, but you can get his post 1920 service record from MOD. Costs £30 and you fill in a form. Then wait , and wait.

The details are on this link - click for Ministry of Defence Service Records

That is a great idea and it will be worth the wait. Meanwhile do you think he was in the Dorset Regiment   after the 2/4th Royal Berks? Have you any idea as to where the 2/4th were on 4/10/18 I am thinking perhaps St Quentin? I cant seem to find the Medal Card that shows his medals so I presume it would be DCM,14 Star, British War Medal and Victory medal ?

26 minutes ago, kemp52 said:

I cant seem to find the Medal Card that shows his medals so I presume it would be DCM,14 Star, British War Medal and Victory medal ?

Ancestry have it on click

It is on TNA at click

The Medal Roll on Ancestry - click - shows he was in 2nd Berks and 2/4 Berks before the Dorsets

Can't see an Osborn b1898 that fits in the MOD Post 1920 index.

There's a WS, DOB 14/11/1898 S/N 6336059

W, DOB 1897-07-26 S/N 1952396 (RE)

WG, DOB 1899-03-18 S/N 410316/23

&

HJ, DOB 1898-04-20, S/N 1459805

The 1939 Register has his DOB as 11 Mar 1897 (mind you it is not always correct)

Having found his baptism record, 1898 looks more likely than 1897

I debated as to whether I should give you this , as you are probably unaware that he was illegitimate. But unless you know that it is impossible to work out your genealogy

Part of the thing on Genealogy is that you never know what you are going to find, until you start looking

bapt.jpg.54cd233c50f536ac4c97bf071f3e3604.jpg

And there is an Ancestry Tree - click - with some info on Ann Elizabeth Osborn(e). You do need to check Ancestry trees as many are wrong. But a quick check by me showed that it was OK

Edited by corisande

OSBORNE W pte 16678  2/4TH R BERKS REGT DCM L/GAZ :4.3.18. FOR ACTS OF GALLANTRY DURING A RAID EAST OF ARRAS ON 24.10.17.(PROBABLY AT GREENLAND HILL ?)

HOME TOWN :ALDBOURN WILTS. (info from Annotated DCM Roll) best w, Howard

28 minutes ago, collectorsguide said:

OSBORNE W pte 16678  2/4TH R BERKS REGT DCM L/GAZ :4.3.18. FOR ACTS OF GALLANTRY DURING A RAID EAST OF ARRAS ON 24.10.17.(PROBABLY AT GREENLAND HILL ?)

HOME TOWN :ALDBOURN WILTS. (info from Annotated DCM Roll) best w, Howard

Howard,

Nice to see the Regimental Museum had the wrong info indicating it was in September... 

Regards 

Andy 

IMG_20190803_202322.jpg

Thank you everyone at the Great War Forum  for such a fantastic response to my enquiry .The information received is wonderful. I was aware that the Soldier concerned was illegitimate as it seems  no father was on the Birth Certificate . However this Soldier seems to have a really good record of service not to mention the DCM  and  ive discovered today that  someone who can remember his medals says it had an Oak leak <Mentioned in Despatches> would that have been also for the raid in Arras Greenland  Trench.  I shall send away for the full Army Record and inform you of any other interesting items of info . I understand it will take 6 weeks plus .

Another reason to get his Marriage Cert is that that asks for father. He may or may not have put a clue in his answer there.