Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The son of one of the Invincibles

stuart rowles

Edward Rowles born 28th October 1866 in Drogheda, Ireland and died there on 7th February 1928, age 61.

He served with the Royal Marine Light Infantry, No. 1339, Private.

Whilst researching his family I found out that his father was Henry Rowles, one of the invincibles held in Kilmainham Jail in 1883. I even found a 2 pictures of him!

He died there before he could be sentenced. His fellow invincibles were executed.

I have found a picture of Henry's headstone but there is no mention of Edward.

If anyone knows where Edward was buried please make contact.

Stuart, a couple of errors in the details:

Edward ROWLES first transferred on 1 Feb 1917 from the Army (ASC) into the Royal Marine Labour Corps (Old Formation) (RMLC (Old) - he was not RMLI). His ASC number was SS/18093 and in the RMLC (Old) he was Deal/9604(S). In early 1919, when the Old Formation was disbanded, he transferred to the RMLC (New Formation), with a new register number of Deal/1349(N). His Attestation Pack of papers in the archive of the Fleet Air Arm Museum shows that he was discharged invalided (his ADM 159 ledger page records that he was Discharged Surplus to Naval Requirtements (DSTNR)) and that his date of birth was 8 October 1866.

Edited by horatio2

Hi Stuart. 

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. 

I don’t know where Edward is buried, but for what’s is worth I would guess he is most likely buried in St Peter’s parish (Catholic) cemetery AKA Lourdes cemetery, Drogheda. Based on the fact he was married in St Peters Catholic Church  in 1903 and he resided in the parish on his death. Unfortunately, I don’t know if the records are available online or otherwise.

Link to a contemporary likeness of Rowles père here

Pat

• spof changed the title to The son of one of the Invincibles