Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

The Kneelagger

Missed Headstone Image at St Sever Cemetery, Rouen

The Kneelagger

Good evening all. Having recently returned from of 4 day trip to a wide area of the French Western Front last month, in which an aim was to capture images of headstones of the local South Devon men outstanding from my revision of a previous publication of a Roll of Honour, I find that I missed one from St Sever Cemetery in Rouen, despite retaking images of 3 others who lie in the cemetery.

My missing local was - Private 16679 H.J. Aggett, 8th Battalion Devonshire Regiment, died Friday 28th July 1916, buried at St. Sever Cemetery, Rouen, Seine-Maritime, France Plot B. Row 36, Grave 17.

If any fellow member is planning a trip to this large cemetery later this summer, can I ask if you could take the standard image of this headstone and forward it to me.

Thanking you

John E

George Rayner

Down the road in Jumieges for two weeks middle of month-may get an opportunity but if another offer comes along take it!

George

The Kneelagger

George.

Yours is the only response received to date, so if you could assist I would be grateful.

John E

George Rayner

Given a fair breeze and co-operation from Management will be done

George

The Kneelagger

Thank you George.

George Rayner

Back from France. Will download tomorrow!

George

The Kneelagger

Thank you George. I have forwarded you a message re this

John

George Rayner

Morning

Arrived late to cemetery-my SAT navigator was a little slow on instructions and driver-me-didn't react quickly enough so a little circuitous route followed.

What a wonderful place in the sunshine. At wrong gate, couldn't find books of burials so took a while to locate. Sun behind him unfortunately and no flash so hope this is okay for you.

image.png.088ddb1d82274ff3e16a24c60f3efc72.png

...and was followed around by a French lady. No...she was carrying the keys to the cemetery and was keen for us to be out and gone!

I have other copies but this probably the best one

George

The Kneelagger

Evening George. Sorry to have caused you so much trouble to get the headstone image for me and once again many thanks for going the extra mile to get the image. I gave been able to manipulate the image and it has now been added to the man's record in the Roll of Honour for Newton Abbot.

Your willingness to assist me in this task, caused by my foolish error, is one of the best examples of how the Forum can be used by all those who share an interest in the Great War.

I trust that you had a safe and uneventful return to Suffolk

Regards

John

George Rayner

A pleasure John. Found parts of Rouen I hadn't even imagined and a nice trip along the south bank of the Seine to the gite we stayed in.

Reference anyone else: Jumieges, Le Loup Vert, Gites de France

George