Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

KernelPanic

"Traces of War: The Archaeology of the First World War"by Birger Stichelbaut (2018)

KernelPanic

This looks like a very interesting book. Has anyone read it or saw the exhibit at the In Flanders Fields Museum (it ran through to Sept. last year)? I just might have to get a copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Traces-War-Archaeology-First-World/dp/9492677512

https://www.wired.com/story/lidar-archaeology-world-war-1-ypres-salient-belgium/

Edited by KernelPanic

Marilyne

I've seen the book before and pondered buying it, but then thought of the mass I already have at home.

Stichelbaut is a good author though and a very thorough researcher.

Also very good books of his are "La guerre vue du ciel : 1914-1918, le front en Belgique" (2013)  that exists in French, Dutch and I do Believe also in English and "Images of conflict : Military aerial photography and archeology " (2009)

M;

KernelPanic
7 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I've seen the book before and pondered buying it, but then thought of the mass I already have at home.

Stichelbaut is a good author though and a very thorough researcher.

Also very good books of his are "La guerre vue du ciel : 1914-1918, le front en Belgique" (2013)  that exists in French, Dutch and I do Believe also in English and "Images of conflict : Military aerial photography and archeology " (2009)

M;

I first came across his work when I read this (published in 2017): 

The Ypres Salient 1914–1918: historical aerial photography and the landscape of war

A fascinating and innovative use of modern surveying technology. It will be hard for me to resist the book :)