Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Diane65

Qualify for medal

Diane65

Hi all, my grandfather served with the 2/5 Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derbys). He sailed from Folkstone on 26/2/1917 and we think caught Scarlet fever and was at Boulogne hospital for at least 4 months, I know nothing else. My questions are would he have qualified for any medals just for arriving in France and where can I find out if he actually fought or was sent home, many thanks for any help you can give me.

mancpal

Hi Diane,

it would help members if you could post as many details as you know however trivial. Things such as DoB , Date of death , address, siblings names, Marriages etc. However the key to researching service men is his service number. As you obviously don't have his medals you can't simply check on the rim for the information but with other knowledge the experts on here can often build a reasonable picture. I'd also recommend taking a look at The Long Long Trail (which has a link on this site) for great information on researching individuals and many other WW1 matters. good luck with your search.

Simon

Michelle Young

Also if you post his name, it would be a great help.

Michelle 

Ken Lees

Simple answer - if he landed in France then yes, he would be entitled to at least the British War Medal. We would need more information to establish his full medal entitlement.

Diane65

Thank you all for your kind replies, I am very new to this, not just genealogy but PC's in general, so please excuse my mistakes, one of which was it was my husband's Grandad, not mine.

Not a great start I am sure you would agree. My ex military husband was starting to research his family tree but unfortunately he has been diagnosed with vascular Dementia and so I am determined to complete it for him.

I have found a piece of paper with a name and a number on it. It states, Arthur Holloway 200379 2/5 Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derbys Regiment).

His D.O.B was 20/04/1897. He lived in Scarthin, Cromford, Derbyshire.

Thank you again for your kind help, Diane.

tullybrone

Hi,

here is a a copy of his Medal Index Card from Ancestry. He was entitled to British War Medal and the Victory Medal. They would have been sent out to his post war address by post circa 1920/21.

The MIC shows he was transferred to York & Lancaster Regiment at some time in his service.

Further search of Ancestry and or Findmypast “paid” sites may turn up additional information.

Steve

383AA211-18D8-46AA-B98A-4EAEF1B5A2E1.jpeg

George Rayner

Find my Past confirms Steve's post

First name(s) Arthur
Last name Holloway
Year 1914-20
Service number 200379, 238105
Second service number 238105
Rank Private,Private
Second rank Private
Regiment Nottinghamshire And Derbyshire Regiment, York And Lancaster Regiment
Second corps York And Lancaster Regiment
Service record Soldier Number: 200379, Rank: Private, Corps: Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment
Second service rhttps://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FMCI%2F1939529 Soldier Number: 238105, Rank: Private, Corps: York and Lancaster Regiment

George

mancpal

The absence of either a 14 or 14-15 star medal indicates that he didn't serve abroad before  1/1/16. 

Now that you have his service number you will be able check Ancestry to see if his service record  exists though 60-70% were destroyed during WW2. To do the search you would need to subscribe or visit your library who frequently have free access (and if you are as limited with computer skills as I the librarians are very helpful). another option is to check Ancestry regularly as they offer free trials and free weekends occasionally.

War diaries for his units may exist which would give you an idea of what they got up to but he is most unlikely to be named within.

Finally a warning, the subject becomes very addictive. I began with my grandads name and regt in 1992 and Im still finding snippets that relate to his time with the Manchesters.

Simon

Pat Atkins

The medal roll for his BW&V Medals gives his overseas service as with:

2/5th Notts & Derby

11th Notts & Derby

8th York & Lancs

He seems to have been one of a group of men with close regimental numbers transferred ftom 11th N&D to 8th Y&L. No dates given of course, sadly. If he was hospitalised, then a plausible scenario is that it was on recovery that he was sent to 11th Bn.

Cheers, Pat

Ken Lees

As he was originally a Territorial Force soldier (2/5th Notts & Debys) with a 6-digit number, he probably went to France with the battalion's original deployment on 26th February,1917

kenf48

There is a service record for a soldier, Pte 200403 Derry (originally 2202) who was in the 1/5 Sherwood Foresters, pre-war enlisting 26.6.1914.

His record shows he was sick in the U.K. early in 1917, and was posted back to France on the 11th June 1917.  At the IBD he was posted to the 11th Battalion on the 2 July 1917.

He was compulsorily transferred for the benefit of the service to the 8th York and Lancs on the 21st October 1918 and renumbered

Looking at the Rolls it appears there was a draft of TF men from the Sherwood Foresters  who for one reason or another were at the IBD in June 1917  (February to June = 4 months as originally posted) and were posted to the 11th Bn.  This Battalion went to Italy in November but were posted back to France in September 1918.  Once again it appears these men were at the Base Depot in Italy and ‘missed the boat’ and remained in Italy and wereposted to the York and Lancs Regt.

Caution needed drawing firm conclusions from just one record but it seems a plausible scenario for Pte Holloway.

Ken

Stebie9173

One extra point to consider with 2/5th Sherwood Foresters is that they were in Ireland in April 1916 and were involved in the Easter Rising. Because the whole of Ireland was part of the UK at the time this did not class as embarkation overseas and did not qualify a man for the British War/Victory medals.

Steve.