Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Barlas, Pvt. 1612, Black Watch

dhubthaigh

In the BW & V Medal Rolls Robert Barlas, Pvt. 1612, Black Watch, shows as 6th Battalion.

His MIC and entry in the 1914/15 Star Roll gives his date of entry into France as 2/3/1915. However, the 6th Black Watch arrived on 2/5/1915. 

There appears to have been an error but is there any way to determine which entry is correct?

Thanks

Mark

Long Long Trail confirms 2/6/15 - https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/royal-highlanders-black-watch/

It is likely a mistake but he may have went ahead - I have a couple of 6th DLI men who seemed to have gone ahead of the battalion by a couple of months. I suspect the DLI men were accompanying officers for some reason.

Craig

• 3 months later...

I have quite a bit of information relating to Robert Barlas and I am convinced Pvt, 1612, Black Watch and Pvt. 4872/6393/292548 is the same man.

Pvt. 1612 is discharged no longer physically fit for war service on 11/05/1916. From a SWB entry for 292548 it notes he enlisted on 24/07/1916.

Is it possible that a man who is discharged unfit from the 6th Black Watch can, two months later, re-enlist in the same battalion and as a consequence has two Medal Index Cards issued?

Any opinions or examples would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Is it possible that a man who is discharged unfit from the 6th Black Watch can, two months later, re-enlist in the same battalion and as a consequence has two Medal Index Cards issued?

Men discharged could certainly be re-assessed and re-enlisted under the MSA at a later date. Given the massive admin situation the failure of linking records is far from unheard of.

I have quite a bit of information relating to Robert Barlas and I am convinced Pvt, 1612, Black Watch and Pvt. 4872/6393/292548 is the same man.

#292548 Barlas was discharged 17 Oct 17 so he served roughly 15 months (of that stint). He was born 1891 and was living at 3 Clayton Road, Bridge-of-Earn

Craig

Thanks for replies, appreciated.

Since the introduction of Civil Registration in Scotland only one birth of a Robert Barlas has been recorded - 1891 in Bridge of Earn.

Robert's father had a building business, was well known locally and very active in all manner of community affairs.

Robert was educated at Perth Academy and a member of Bridge of Earn Rifle Club where he was a noted shot. He was Scottish Junior Champion at SMRC in 1908.

An article in a local newspaper of June 1910 reports on a shooting competition at Elcho Range with Barlas competing for B Company 6th Black Watch.

He graduated from Skerry's College, Dundee in 1911 as a Customs & Excise Officer taking up a position with the Mercantile Bank at Perth.

In December, 1914 he is listed in Rolls of Honour for Perth Academy and The Mercantile Bank having enlisted with the 6th Black Watch.

He married in 1919 and was transferred to a posting in Ayr in 1929.

His record of war service as stated.