Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Marilyne

Ypres & Poperinge pic offers ... going walking

Marilyne
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

August is coming and with it my yearly outing to the Four Days of the Yzer… my 23rd!!

I've just checked the tracks for this year … not much interesting for the first two days, but i've identified a few cemeteries we're passing on the Poperinge and Ypres walking days and thought that maybe some people might need pictures.

So these are the cemeteries ON THE TRACKS… I know that some will lie only a few hundred meters away from the tracks, but on both days we're on schedule for ceremonies, so I can't add too much kilometers on them.

If you want the picture of a grave on these cemeteries, just holler:

Poperinge day:

• NINE ELMS CEMETERY
  • DOZINGEM C
  • GWALIA C

Ypres Day:

• KLEIN-VIERSTRAAT BRITISH C
  • KEMMEL N°1 FRENCH C
  • SUFFOLK C

EDIT:

Weather permitting and if I get there on time, I might take my bike out for a spin and drive from Poperinge to Ypres on monday morning.

Might pass following cemeteries, especially if special requests:

• RED FARM C
  • HAGEL DUMP C
  • BRANDHOEK (the three)
  • VLAMERTINGHE NEW C
  • RAILWAY CHATEAU C
  • HOP STORE C

if anyone's around on monday 19th... waffle's on me!

M.

Edited by Marilyne

Mangham1

Marilyne,

I would be very grateful for two pictures from Suffolk Cemetery:

Private S. TWITE   C.6

Private H. BRADBURY   C.21

Have a good trip.

Grant

DorsetDan

Hi Marilyne ,

Many thanks for your kind offer , could you please stop at NINE ELMS and grab a quick photo for me .

42779 , EDWIN JOHN SAUNDERS , ROYAL FUSILIERS , DOW 31/3/18             14 . B .10

I keep meaning to get over to pay my respects to Edwin and take a photo , maybe soon !

Thanks again

DD

Marilyne

no prob for those already asked... 

There's room for more... 

M.

Marilyne

Hi guys, 

here are the requested pics... for a big resolution, please PM me an email address and I'll we-transfer them to you. 

on thursday, we passed Nine Elms just as the sun was aiming directly at the gravestones which made the taking of the picture quite difficult. One cannot see that much detail unfortunately, as the stone is worn out a bit too. 

DSC04295.JPG.f0c56bed8ceea0a8d814e152d5df4c5e.JPG

DSC04293.JPG.f5a32c81f4a33a32e3dcb626c82c642a.JPG

The graves on Suffolk Cemetery, on Friday, on the other hand seem to be new and better chiseled, making the reading easier. 

DSC04365.JPG.9d73a599d287b913c643e22e11bc1471.JPG

DSC04366.JPG.4e19fa31792b3fe11575423e19788b71.JPG

M.

DorsetDan

Dear Marilyne ,

Thank you so much for stopping to take the photo . I  was glad to hear the sun was shining on Edwin at Nine Elms .

The photo looks good to me and I think the worn stone has character . I'll see how it looks when its printed out , but i'am sure it will be fine .

Hope you had a good weekend and many thanks again .   DD

Marilyne

you're very welcome.

As said, I can transfer you the big resolution pics if needed. You might get a better rendition when printed.

M.

DorsetDan
7 hours ago, Marilyne said:

you're very welcome.

As said, I can transfer you the big resolution pics if needed. You might get a better rendition when printed.

M.

Ok , thanks Marilyne , i'am away from my computer this week , when I get back i'll have a go with the photo , if  I think it can be improved , i'll send a PM . Thanks again   DD

Mangham1

Marilyne,

Apologies for the late reply.

Thank you very much for the two lovely photographs, expertly taken.

Best wishes,

Grant

DorsetDan

Marilyne ,

I've taken some of the light out ot the image and printed it out which gives me a readable photo ( nothing can be done about the worn stone ! ) , so thank you very much for providing the the photo in the first place , job done . :thumbsup:

Thought you might be interested to see the response Edwin's widow received when she asked for a photo 100 years ago , not quite the same .

Thanks again.    DD

Saunders grave photo.jpeg

Marilyne

Happy to help.

one can only imagine the numser of requests the War Office had to deal with at the time. For us today it is so easy to hop over or just ask… at that time, a simple photograph might be the only thing a bereaved family could get, if travelling was not possible. Sort of the ultimate proof that he was really dead and not coming back…

M.