Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Theatre of war entered

pudsey63

Could anyone help me with a medal card? Sorry, I couldn't get the image to post. Charles Reeves 16738 1/7th Duke of Wellington's (West Yorks Regt) fought and died near Poperinghe in 1918. I understood from the Battalion history that they fought on the Western Front throughout the war, but his medal card seems to say that he was initially sent to the Balkans. If anyone can throw any light on this I'd be grateful.

Edited by pudsey63

His card certainly shows first entry was to Balkans, 2b. 30/9/1915. CWGC have him on Tyne Cot Memorial died 25/4/1918, 1/7th DOW

He was wounded with the Duke of Wellingtons 13/1/1917. Where this was I can't say. I'd suspect that he went to Gallipoli 30/9/1915 as a draft to the 8th Battalion DOW. They moved back to France July 1916.

When he recovered from his wound 13/1/1917 he then transferred to 1/7th DOW.

TEW

Hi

Medal roll suggests previous service in 8th & 10th.

Previous Units: 16738 Pte. 8th W. Rid. R., 10th W. Rid. R., 1/7 W. Rid. R.

thus from https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/duke-of-wellingtons-west-riding-regiment/

8th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Halifax in August 1914 as part of K1 and came under command of 34th Brigade in 11th (Northern) Division. Moved to Belton Park (Grantham).
18 January 1915: transferred to 32nd Brigade in same Division. Moved to Witley in April 1915.
Sailed from Liverpool in July 1915 for Gallipoli, landing at Suvla Bay 7 August 1915. Moved to France in July 1916.
13 February 1918 : disbanded in France

regards

Jon

That's amazing! Id tried to find something but totally missed Gallipoli. Thank you all so much for the missing pieces.