Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

prize money for the sinking of the BLUCHER.

Sgt Stripes

Hello There. I am researching CH 17464 Pte A C Hammond RMLI and would like to ask two questions about his service. The first is he served in HMS LOWESTOFT from April 1914 till April 1915 then HMS DUNCAN, July 1915 till April 1917 and Back in LOWESTOFT, December 1917 till April 1919. His service papers state that he was paid Prize bounty money of 6s 1p for the destruction of the BLUCHER. Then on 12 August 1920 he was awarded £12 10s from the Naval prize fund . Was these two amounts paid to him for the sinking of the BLUCHER or did he receive another payment for an action when he was on the DUNCAN or second time on LOWESTOFT. The second question is when he was on DUNCAN, Royal marines from that ship along with one other, landed at Piraeus "Athens" and engaged elements of the Greek Army 1 December 1916. Would it be recorded such as "Landed "  on his service sheet. I have seen Landed on sailor's service sheets that served in East Africa.        

2 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Would it be recorded such as "Landed "  on his service sheet.

The temporary landing of parties of marines for operations ashore would not normally be recorded on ledger records (ADM 159).

Sgt Stripes, is there an online archive for prizes awarded? I'm interested in money awarded to flying officers for Breslau's sinking.

Sorry to go off piste.

Hi. I really don't know . If there is I have never seen or been told about one.      

8 hours ago, b3rn said:

Sgt Stripes, is there an online archive for prizes awarded? I'm interested in money awarded to flying officers for Breslau's sinking.

Sorry to go off piste.

There is a list of ships awarded salvage and prize money on naval-history.net, sorted by both RN ships awarded (left hand column on the link earlier in this sentence) and Allied or neutral ships salvaged and enemy ships destroyed (right hand column).

Both lists exclude the Battles of Heligoland Bight and Jutland and the one of RN ships awarded also excludes the Falkland Islands and Dogger Bank.

The information given for Breslau is as follows (the number in brackets at the end is the edition of the London Gazette from which the information is taken):

"Breslau, German cruiser, destruction by HMS Raglan, M 28, Lizard, Tigress, Supernal, Anchor Hope II, 20 Jan 1918 (31230)."

Link to my blog entry on The Battle of Imbros, in which Breslau was sunk. Arthur Marder says on p..16 of vol. v of From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow; the Royal Navy in the Fisher Era, 1904-1919 that Breslau was hit by an aerial bomb but does not give any information on the airmen or units involved.

Edited by Gibbo
Edited reference in brackets to give correct location of link

Thank you Gibbo, I'll follow those leads. Much appreciated.

Airmen of No. 2 Wing RNAS took a share of the spoils because they harried the Ottoman cruiser onto the minefield.

Super piece of information Gibbo. No mention of DUNCAN or LOWESTOFT so I would assume the 1920 payment was for the sinking of the BLUCHER. I have a interest in the Battle of IMBROS as I am about to research a sailor who was KIA there. His name is J.39165 AB S H Barton RN KIA HMS RAGLAN. Any information on him would be great.