Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Deciphering war diary

David Earley

Can someone help me decipher the place names in this extract from the 18th KRRC war diary?

Moulenacker.png.076684313b3f53a8a46d19755d5045d7.png

I assume that the first place in CAPITALS is actually Godewaersvelde, but I have no clue about the second - shown as MOULENACKER (or MOULENACHER).

David

Hi,

Godewaersvelde (the fields of Godewaer) is correct. the Flemish people called in Goddsvelde, so the difference in name (the confusion also WRT the writing) is perfectly understandable.

MOULENACKER sounds like a name place… Molen & Akker: molen is a windmill and Akker a field. So a place (or rather a "lieu-dit") called "the field with the windmill", some 8 miles from Godewaersvelde. It won't be found on modern maps, but should be mentionned on older maps, or even trenchmaps.

I guess the reason why it's writen MOULENacker (pronounced moo) is probably because the west flemish pronunciation or the word (funny language)

M.

Meulewalle to the SW of Goedewaersvelde seems likely. Have you tried cross referencing it with the Brigade diary?

Charlie

ACDA59BC-90A5-40EC-97C3-D66BAF50248B.jpeg

12 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

Meulewalle to the SW of Goedewaersvelde seems likely

At about 1 mile, I think this is too close to Godewaersvelde as the battalion diary  refers to a march of about 8 miles.

David

This illustrates, rather nicely, why the instructions for keeping War Diaries specified that place names (and personal names) had to be spelled out in capitals.

Ron

Thanks for finding this for me, Charlie. I have now located it on a modern map, although the farm is now called Cupper Straete (59270 Méteren)

David

Team work!!!!

3 hours ago, David Earley said:

although the farm is now called Cupper Straete (59270 Méteren)

Cupper Straete is the name of the road not the farm.

144A42A5-F5C0-434F-9C83-BF0AA10FC11C.jpeg