Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Gisbourne D.C.M - 1/8th Worcesters

Jojessholli

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for several bits of information regarding Harry Gisbourne D.C.M - 1/8th - Worcester Regiment  - Reg number 1520 and 240099. 

I'm trying to find more detail about how he won the DCM - the below information I found online regards the DCM and there is a small citation (see the attached  - curtsy Ancestry.co.uk).

Any links or information to any service records that may still exist (I can't find any).

Finally, any information relating to the wounds on 16/04/1916 and 17/10/17. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gisbourne

H.

Cpl.

18/06/1917

1/8th

Templeux

31825_217834-00612.jpg

2 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Seems to me you should look here

Charlie

Thanks Charlie - I found that just a few minutes ago.

Regards

Vic

Edited by Jojessholli
missing letters

I suspect those links will answer most of your questions or lead you to find the answers . But maybe they raise more questions ?

Charlie

Hi Vic,

His DCM citation as it appears in the registers held by the National Archives.

image.png.6978db4b3395b3b1ae1d7e495ffd9174.png

Image sourced from the National Archives

Expanding slightly on the enlistment date of "January 1912" shown in the article by The Vale of Evesham Historical Society that Charlie linked to, his Silver War Badge record says that he enlisted on 25th January 1912. It also says that he was discharged due to "wounds" on 25.11.1918. Fold3 appear to have a pension record index card for Harry, which would  hopefully say what afflictions resulted in a pension claim/award. Unfortunately I don't have a subscription, so can't look for you.

image.png.a46811dfbecc06d270064a2d52338f19.png

Regards

Chris

Edit:

I presume that you've already seen the Battalion, and the Brigade/Division HQ war diaries to add context to his service.

He had two service numbers because of the 1917 general renumbering of the TF - see here.

Edited by clk

Thanks CLK - I've just read the pension record index card and it says it was a gunshot wound to the shoulder.  I really appreciate your help.

19 hours ago, charlie962 said:

I suspect those links will answer most of your questions or lead you to find the answers . But maybe they raise more questions ?

Charlie

No doubt - thanks for your help so far.