Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Formidable related photos please

potty5

• 5 weeks later...

I have only recently discovered that my Gradnfathers cousin in Bermondsey was lost on Formidable. He was a 20 years old Stoker 1st Class, Alfred John Anderson No. K/20652. born 6th June 1894 enlisted 8th September 1913.

Regards

Josturm.

1 minute ago, potty5 said:

Hi Josturm many thanks for the post. Do you have a photo of him please?? Mark.

Sadly not, but would like one.

Regards

Josturm.

This is all I have, plus his entry on the Chatham memorial. I do know that Formidable was his first vessel after training on Pembroke.

Alfred John Anderson
Birth Date: 6 Jun 1894
Birth Place: Bermondsey, London
Branch of Service: Royal Navy
Cause of Death: Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action
Official Number Port Division: K.20652. (Ch)
Death Date: 1 Jan 1915
Ship or Unit: HMS Formidable
Location of Grave: Not recorded
Name and Address of Cemetery: Body Not Recovered For Burial
Relatives Notified and Address: Father: Alfred John 87, New Church St, Jamaica Rd, Bermondsey, SE

image.png.00fdcb5fe2523c1189872a06fd012f7c.png

Regards

Josturm.

Hi all, my great great uncle Ernest Frederick Cooper died when Formidable sank. Sadly his death hit his mum so badly that she never spoke of it and didn't have any pictures of him. We have nothing at all of his and never seen a picture. If anyone can help me find a photo it would be amazing. Thank you all 

• 7 months later...

I have this photograph of I can only assume was a relation of mine as I discovered it in a box of family correspondence and photographs left by my late father.

I have no idea who this person was as there is no indication on the picture or it's reverse.

Hope it is useful.

Formidable.jpg

The lad in the photograph is from the Training Ship Formidable at Portishead which took boys from age 11-14. Note the lack of HMS on his cap ribbon.

ARABIS.

Mark,

I am sorry but I am sure there is no relation to my paternal side as for three generations we have been sole children.

Thanks to Arabis I have another clue and I will research further. Any gen I obtain I will forward to you.

Blues

• 2 months later...

If possible, I’d appreciate any more information or photo of my great-uncle:

ORDINARY SEAMAN OLIVER WILLIAM JAMES DAY 

Service Number: J/23037

Regiment & Unit/Ship

Royal Navy

H.M.S. "Formidable."

Date of Death

Died 01 January 1915

Age 18 years old

As a side note, his brother...another great-uncle of mine...Dermot Gerald Day was born in 1914, served in the 2nd Battalion, East Surrey Regiment, and would die as a prisoner of the Japanese in 1943 while constructing the Burma Railway.

Oliver Day joined the Royal Navy on 26th February 1913 initially as a Boy seaman, and subsequently as an Ordinary Seaman. He served aboard HMS Formidable (a pre-dreadnought battleship) from 21st November 1913 until his untimely end in January 1915. Formidable was sunk in the English Channel by torpedoes fired from German U-boat  U-24.

MB

Home town: Abingdon, Berks.

Service doc available to download from TNA https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6875095

Edited by KizmeRD

Hi @cawallis188 and welcome to the forum.

WW1 Naval Casualties records that Ordinary Seaman J.23037 (Ch) Oliver William James Day, Royal Navy, was born Abingdon, Berkshire, on the 25th February 1896. His body was not recovered for burial following the loss of HMS Formidable. Next of kin informed of his death was his father, William M, of 12 Creighton Terrace, Kings Road, Belmont, Surrey.

The file @KizmeRD has linked to in his post can currently be downloaded for free from the National Archive. You do need to sign in with an account, but if you don't have one, even that can be set up as part of placing your first order. No financial details are required.

I did check out the British Newspaper Archive via FindMyPast but didn't come across any specific items on him - however the transcriptions on that source are less than ideal, and of course many titles are not on line, but copies may exist in the relevant county archive. Local newspapers are far and away your most likely source for a picture if one no longer exists in the family.

Cheers,

Peter

• spof changed the title to Formidable related photos please