Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hadfields Ltd of Sheffield WW1

Ellis1918

67092778_10219552939160315_2657624865393082368_n.jpg

67327926_10219529568336059_6993538760390475776_n.jpg

Huge company. Hecla and East Hecla works, Tinsley, Sheffield.

Pre war made things like Tramway and railway points, high grade castings and forgings. Also made armour piercing shells pre war.

12,500 male staff, 1000 female.

• 2 years later...

Jay Dubwa, I am a member of the Imperial War Museum War Memorials Database team and we have a record of the pictured memorial, but we did not have the exact location where it was originally displayed.  With your permission I would like to use your image of the memorial in situ on our website.

You are probably aware that the plaque is now displayed in the Kelham Island Industrial Museum, Sheffield.

Regards

John French

John, I cannot claim ownership over the image and I note I omitted to reference the above when I first posted. The original is held by Picture Sheffield here. I’m sure they would be delighted for the IWM to use the image as a reference to the memorial. The image of the actual memorial above was taken at Kelham Island several years ago whilst many of the local memorials were still in storage there.

cheers, Jon

When I visited Kelham Island I was impressed with the 18" shell  on display which could penetrate one and a half meters of armour plate. These were made by Hadfields - that really is a shell!

Regards

AlanD

On 17/08/2021 at 15:02, jay dubaya said:

John, I cannot claim ownership over the image and I note I omitted to reference the above when I first posted. The original is held by Picture Sheffield here. I’m sure they would be delighted for the IWM to use the image as a reference to the memorial. The image of the actual memorial above was taken at Kelham Island several years ago whilst many of the local memorials were still in storage there.

cheers, Jon

They may or may not be 'delighted'. In my experience they have been very tight on copyright of photographic images of memorials in their possession. Only a small proportion of of the memorials they have are on public display in Kelham - the rest are languishing in a warehouse somewhere and cannot be accessed. What photographic images of these which do exist can only be reproduced for money, and not a token amount. Good luck.

Hedley you may well be right, however Picture Sheffield and it’s archives have always be a great support... well to me anyway and I believe it’s the Hadfields car image John is interested in. As for Kelham Island and its ‘stash’ of local memorials it still omits to display - I was fortunate enough several years ago allowed to photograph all those they had on site (both those displayed and those in storage - at that time only the massive Cammel Laird Roll of Honour was on display, I haven’t visited for well over ten years so can’t comment on what is and what isn’t displayed nor what more they may have acquired in that time.