Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Royal Warwickshire Regiment - Pte John Swift 1136

Yorke Scarlett

I am interested in the whereabouts of the 2nd Warwickshire around the second week in October 1914.

My interest is in Pte John Swift 1136 who is buried in Cement House Cemetery, Langemarck, Belgium.

The 2nd Battalion, as far as I am aware was closer to Ghent during this time.

Does anyone have the War Diary of the 2nd Warwickshire for the period 7th - 12th October 1914.

Thanks in advance.

The War Diary for the 10th October 1914 reads......No 1136 Pvte J Swift was accidently killed by a man of the 1 R W Fusiliers...

having checked the WD of the 7th Div and 22nd Brigade , on the 10th they marched from Ghent to Merelbeke then on to Melle

Eddie

Edited by EDWARD1

42 minutes ago, Yorke Scarlett said:

My interest is in Pte John Swift 1136 who is buried in Cement House Cemetery, Langemarck, Belgium.

The 2nd Battalion, as far as I am aware was closer to Ghent during this time.

If you scroll down the Commonwealth War Graves Commission webpage for him you will see there is a tab titled "Concentration".

That records his body being exhumed in 1955 from the churchyard at Lemberge and moved to it's current resting place.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/4010928/swift,-john/

Cheers,

Peter

Edit -  and from the CWGC page on the Cemetery at Cement House.

Plots XVI, XVII and XVIII originally contained some 500 French graves, but these were removed in 1922. The space vacated has been filled in over the intervening years by graves brought in from communal cemeteries and churchyards in the area, when their maintenance in these locations could no longer be assured. The cemetery is still used for the burial of remains that continue to be discovered in the vicinity, and a number of plots have been extended to accommodate these graves.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-a-cemetery/cemetery/9400/cement-house-cemetery/

(He is in grave XVIII. B. 21. )

Edited by PRC
Add Cemetery details

Thanks guys for the rapid response