The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

pre war service

BillyH

Slightly off topic here, but while researching a Great War soldier who declared service in the Boer War I was wondering if the normal terms of service at that time was 3 years with the colours followed by 9 years on reserve? He left the army in 1902 so he would have been time expired in 1911. Does that sound right?

BillyH.

Thanks Keith, quite helpful that.

My particular soldier was in the Coldstream Guards so I am not sure if terms of service would have been different than that for the infantry.

BillyH.

I do seem to recall having read that the standard terms for the Brigade of Guards were 3 & 9, but I don't have any evidence to back that up, in terms of Army Orders and the like.

I don't have access to FMP these days. The service record for 7572 Thomas Morgan, Grenadier Guards, has survived. He attested on 4 August 1898, having declared that he was born in October 1878. Perhaps there are some pointers with his service record. He was to reenlist in 1914.

Had a good look on Ancestry, it was poorly indexed but I found it in the end - only to discover that they have put it onto their money making Fold3. Thanks for the help anyway Keith.

BillyH.