Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Postcard of Hospital

Tomb1302

I am saying it is a possibility, if one accepts that Rudolph is the correct spelling of his name and that the spelling Rudolf has been used incorrectly. He has 4 entries in the Verlustlisten http://des.genealogy.net/eingabe-verlustlisten/search filling in the search engine as per the attached will bring up the links to the Verlustlisten entries. The are also PoW records for him on the ICRC site https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/5122477/1/2/

Charlie

83623099-13B3-4A67-A4D4-8F547565CF6B.jpeg

7D57E3F5-F053-4498-BA4E-81E3AC6BD951.jpeg

@charlie2

If this is true, a real gem of a postcard. Thanks for all the insight!

Just now, MaxD said:

Father living in Strasbourg though??

Max

He could just be working there as part of the war effort. There is no indication that it is, or is not, his home address.

Charlie

Don´t forget the cross in the pic over one person!

Rudolf.png

Another *potential* Rudol(f)ph Wolf?

A good scan of the rear of the card may help rule out one or the other. Fritz is of course right to point out the x, it may or may not be someone referred to in the text on the rear of the card.

Just now, charlie2 said:

A good scan of the rear of the card may help rule out one or the other. Fritz is of course right to point out the x, it may or may not be someone referred to in the text on the rear of the card.

I did provide a scan of the rear although, the text is very small and difficult to make out. Was it not adequate enough?

Can you make a better scan of the complete rear of the card, it looks like half of it is missing on your previous scan.

Charlie,

I did omit parts of the card that contained 'nothing'. What you see there really is all the text.

I can get my friend @Jools mckenna to vouch for me when I say it's difficult to get a better scan or to make out more clearly what the text says.

Do you recommend any technique or method? Or would you simply like to see the entire back of the card?

Edited by Tomb1302

There is no need for anyone to vouch for you, you saying so is good enough. As the month and Pyrmont are cut short it just looks like not all of the text had been scanned. As there is nothing on the other part of the card, scanning it does not help us any further. 

Charlie,

I do apologize for that. I do want to note however that the first line is inscribed in a much fainter fashion, likely by pencil, whereas the list of names and the line below the first are all done with ink.

This is reason for why it appears poorly scanned.

Is there nothing conclusive from what's displayed?

Unless there is a cross next to a name on the back which is too faint to be picked up by a scan, I think that is all we can learn from the postcard.

Charlie

Is this a common thing on postcards?

Yes, quite common. Sometimes it is the person who has written the card and sometimes the x marks someone who has been mentioned in the text e.g. a friend of the writer. 

Charlie

Charlie,

I had originally thought the 'X' was some kind of publication note or something.

So, it is likely that the 'X' bears significance in the historical perspective of the shot and the owner of the card...?

The x meant something to Rudolph/Rudolf Wolf, that is why I asked if there was perhaps a faint x next to one of the names on the back of the card.

Charlie

Excuse me for getting back to you so late Charlie; I am aware of what you were asking, I was just confirming that the X could have been indication of something interesting historically.

There would be no other to utilize the date or uniforms depicted to go from here?

• spof changed the title to German Postcard of Hospital