Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd August 1916, Canal Bank Boesinghe

stiletto_33853

Wonder if any of you aviation enthusiasts can help with this one.

On the night of the 2/3rd August 1916, a patrol of the 1st Rifle Brigade under 2nd Lt. Lawrence left S.32 to investigate the wreckage of an allied aircraft shot down on the 2nd. 2nd Lt Lawrence found the wreckage along the line C.13.b.15.92 to C.7.d.12.12. However the Germans had dug a shallow sap to the aircraft, the body, engine had been removed with very little left of the fuselage.

Does anyone have an idea what the aircraft was and who was the pilot.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Without knowing the location, there are four possibilities:

Flt Lieut Royce Gustave Andre Baudry (Kia), 4 Wing RNAS, Nieuport 11 3990 - anti-aircraft fire, north of Ypres

Capt Charles William Snook (Pow), 5 Sqn RFC, BE2c 2616 - anti-aircraft fire, Ledeghem

No 2260 Sergt Alexander Walker (Kia) & 2nd-Lieut Lyonel Latimer Clark (Kia), 60 Sqn RFC, Morane BB 5181 - anti-aircraft fire, Poeuilly

Lieut John Anthony Ninian Ormsby (Pow; Dow) & 2nd-Lieut Henry Joseph Newton (Wia; Dow), 60 Sqn RFC, Morane BB 5177 – anti-aircraft fire or Ltn Kurt Wintgens, Kek V, 13th victory, Poeuilly

Graeme

Thank you Graeme,

S-32 you can see in this map of the Canal Bank area. Bit of Long shot on this, trying to help a family member of 1st RB, whose grandfather left very brief notes on this.

Andy

IMG_4271.JPG

Edited by stiletto_33853

Hi Andy

As per Sherlock's rule, discard everything what doesn't fit and what's left must be the answer.  In this case, we can rule out the two 60 Squadron casualties, they were much too far south and Snook was brought down at Ledeghem, which is more than 15 Km east of Ypres and nowhere near a canal.  That leaves us with the 4 Sqn RNAS casualty; Boesinghe is north of Ypres, just west of the canal, at approximate map location Sheet 28 NW2 B.5.

Graeme

Thank you again Graeme, Sherlocks rule sounds very appropriate in this case.

Andy

If the Germans removed his body it was subsequently lost as CWGC has him remembered on the Arras Flying Memorial.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/740218/baudry,-royce-gustave-andre/

However his PoW card has him buried at Cemetery IX, Langemarck https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/3074/3/2/

Report is reference PA 20827 https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Zoom/E/04/01/C_G1_E_04_01_0105/C_G1_E_04_01_0105_0030.JPG/

It has a reference which could be admininistratve or for a map - I've not seen one like it before.

Does that rule him in or out?

Cheers,

Peter

I am hijacking this thread (for I cannot help), but ... My passion for history is related to  the fact that when on a historical site, like the Boezinge battlefield east of the Canal in the first place, is that I always wonder what, a century ago, may have happened in a very limited small area, and trying to imagine... Knowing the International Trench area so well, and having been on the stretch of the co-ordinates Andy gave (initial posting) for hours and hours (years ago), and still biking past it at least once a week, now I know. This setting my imagination at work. again. Thanks !

Andy gives a line with two co-ordinates. If you ever happen to be there ... The second co-ordinates (C.7.d..12.12) is exactly beneath the floor of the small Visitor's centre to which a path leads from the Yorkshire Trench and Dug-out ...)

Apologies for the hijacking, Andy ...   :-)

Aurel

Aurel,

Welcome, always great to find a few extra unknown facts for the area that is close to you.

The relative I am dealing with has his grandfathers notes for the area, up until the night of 8th August, when he was a victim (Wounded) of the gas attack by the Germans in the area. If anything else of note comes to light I will certainly let you know.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

The area as it looks now. Standing in the Moortelweg, looking southwest towards that stretch of the Kleine Poezelstraat.

With the co-ordinates mentioned by Andy in his opening posting.

Aurel

Kleine Poezelstr co-ordinates aircrash.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi Andy

Just in case you might still have an interest in this topic, I have another source on Baudry (but only with some confirmation of where he was buried). It's in TNA ADM 273/6/57 that can be downloaded for free at the moment. Baudry was obviously a good pilot and officer. Your report on the patrol above is useful for me, so thanks.

Mike

On 25/07/2019 at 11:53, stiletto_33853 said:

43112_1490_0-00424.jpg

Nowhere in this document is it specified that the aeroplane is British.lf that was the case l'd expect it to be made a point of.

Well just to counter your statement, suggest you dig a little more before posting.

The families notes this information comes from states an Allied aircraft, 4th Division H.Q. notes a British aeroplane shot down by a hostile machine. Need I add anything more??

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 14.36.19.png

Edited by stiletto_33853