Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to Identify Pte Joseph Balderstone Regiment

Simon J Emmerson

Good Morning Folks. Can anyone help me please identify Pte Joseph Balderstone Regiment please. The cap badge photographed in the studio photograph is unfortunately out of focus. My initial thoughts were South Wales Borderers or Northamptonshire Regiment. Unfortunately there's no information on the back of the postcard photographer etc. Only the Pte's name & date are written in pencil. 

Regards Simon 

20190725_072826.jpg

20190725_072737.jpg

20190725_072648.jpg

Morning

An Ancestry search gives two Joseph Balderstones-one is KORL the other RWF. I can provide the links if needed

George

• Admin

SWB is a good shout I think.

Michelle  

Hi George. Yes I did the Ancestry search the Regiments given don't match his cap badge.

OK-will look further

George

The badges voiding implies SWB as Michelle has suggested.

DD36D282-805F-4040-B24F-071A57739090.jpeg

3A2DCC92-8D17-47CB-8022-4D9206F0AEAB.jpeg

I'm with Michelle, my immediate thought on first look was SWB, and even zooming in.

Chris

Perhaps then this is the man

First name(s) James
Last name Balderstone
Year 1914-20
Service number 49733, 44086
Second service number 44086
Rank Private,Private
Second rank Private
Regiment South Wales Borderers, Worcestershire Regiment
Second corps Worcestershire Regiment
Service record Soldier Number: 49733, Rank: Private, Corps: South Wales Borderers
Second service record Soldier Number: 44086, Rank: Private, Corps: Worcestershire Regiment

Yes James not Joseph-checking Census currently-but at least possible on first look.

FMP https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FMCI%2F0150802

Ancestry https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1262&h=3079770&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Yiy21278&_phstart=successSource

George

Edited by George Rayner

I've found him. 

Joseph Balderston was born in Ulverston in 1900. It would appear he enlisted into the 4th Kings own Lancaster Regiment on 20.12.1915 but discharged [ presumably as underage ] on 13.4.1916. Later re-enlisted as 50080 Pte South Wales Borderers. Sent to France and posted from the Infantry Base Depot to the 14th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. Killed in Action on 28.8.1918. 

Many Thanks to everyone for your help & advice it's much appreciated. 

Well done. May I ask where you found him please? And post a link if possible-thank you

George

The only match in the medal index card searching under Balderston or Balderstone was 50080 Pte Joseph Baderston serving with the South Wales Borderers and later serving with the RWF. Ancestry 

Sorry, suffering from sunshine but how does that give the other information you kindly provided?

George