Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Troop Ships sailing from Folkstone

unitedsound

Is there anyway of finding out which troop ships sailed from Folkstone to France on 28th August 1916?

I am interested in a Canadian battalion on that date. 5th Battalion Canadian Infantry.

TIA

David

The Battalion's War Diary is online. Here is Aug 16: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/CollectionSearch/Pages/record.aspx?app=fonandcol&IdNumber=2005887&showdigital=1#1-27.  They were in France. Who was travelling from Folkestone?
Acknown

First of all thanks very much for finding the war diary, especially the pages up until 31st December 1916. I had great difficulty in sourcing that period.

I have made my assumption from the attached card.

Alexander sailed from Canada with 94th bn and arrived in Liverpool on 6th July 1916. From there they went to East Sandling/Shorncliffe where he was TOS by 32nd bn. Finally he was TOS by 5th CEF. See also next post. My Date to France comes from my assumption of 28th August 1916 on this card.

i note your interest in Canadian 1st Division. Alexander was killed fighting for them.

F09FF9FA-038D-4A6A-BE71-53640696FA5F.jpeg

Edited by unitedsound
Text added after card upload

More info on this card.

There is a mystery about Alexander’s death on 28th April 1917. He was found dying of wounds at Farbus Woods yet is commemorated on the Vimy Memorial as if his body had not been found.

637FFBC0-1A81-4402-A6AA-F289604F35B4.jpeg

Edited by unitedsound
Text error

I've found all his personal records: http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B6891-S018, which I assume you have. I can't see Folkestone anywhere. His MIC, which I can't access, would probably tell you when he was in theatre on the WF, presumably the day he travelled.

The WD for the period is here: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/CollectionSearch/Pages/record.aspx?app=fonandcol&IdNumber=2005887&showdigital=1. There is a full report on the operation in which McIntosh was fatally wounded at the end of the May 17 entries. There were many casualties, but I can see no mention of him or his circumstances.

The memorial entry is a conundrum, about which others may have ideas. Perhaps his grave was destroyed in later fighting and the location either not recorded or his remains were not discovered. There was plenty of artillery fire by both sides after the attack.

Acknown

I found a sample MIC on line and it turns out that the dark yellow card above is one. So he definitely entered France on 28th August 1916. 

The war diaries you linked me to have entries on 8-9 September 1916 showing reinforcements arriving from base. One of these, a Lt, was from 32nd bn, so it is all beginning to make sense. 

I assumed Alexander’s group sailed from Folkestone due to its proximity to Sandling in Kent. No other reason. It would have added greatly to my story if I knew the ship he sailed with.

Your theory about a destroyed grave makes sense.

You have been a great help Acknown.

Many thanks.

David

Edited by unitedsound
Added last sentence to para 3. Added para 4.

Thanks, David.

Acknown

Hi

a café in Folkestone mole in the Great War collected autographs - 8 books  which is on-line, so you might find the names you are looking for, be careful you might have to pay £10 to be a member of stepshort I hope this now has been dropped.

http://books.stepshort.co.uk/

I have a list of ships sailing from Folkestone but it is not in date order. Southampton port also ferried troops.

Best of luck.

Regards

Dabtoe

Thanks Dabtoe.

Managed to find the date page free of charge but no luck.

What an amazing collection.

David