Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Place name and ship name from a typed-up diary

seaJane

As far as I know, the surgeon who wrote this diary in 1915 after REWA's voyage from Plymouth to Gallipoli and back later typed it up. The owner of the typescript has just donated it and a transcript to work, and I am double-checking the text.

Both the place name and ship name here defeat me during the limited time I've had so far for searching. Any ideas? I have left the transcript in the office but the ship was in Alexandria and the place on Lemnos as I recall.

Yours, hopeful

seaJane

Transcript place name.jpg

Transcript ship name.jpg

Edited by seaJane

52 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Bacchante for Backonti?

Now that's intriguing. I assumed it was a place, but HMS Bacchante was indeed around Gallipoli at the time - so maybe they're both ship's names. Thanks!

(you can tell the surgeon was hauled out of medical school for the duration ... ) Against that would be that he usually remembers "  " for ship names... I suppose I could check Bacchante's log.

Edited by seaJane

4 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

ARAGON (HQ ship) for OVAGON

Thanks h2, that must be it! Something was knocking at the doors of my memory.

What with one thing and another I am beginning to think that maybe the typescript was made by somebody else after all, and who couldn't read the handwriting....

Edited by seaJane

Anzac cove landings April 1915 I think but you probably know that - I am going from vague memory

Edited by Alisonmallen62

3C985C6C-E336-4759-B9DE-91DE1E7EBFB9.jpeg

59 minutes ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Anzac cove landings April 1915 I think but you probably know that - I am going from vague memory

Indeed, thanks, but as it happens the diary covers June 15 to September 1. Good to see the picture of Bacchante - now one of her surgeons was George Murray Levick, formerly with Captain Scott on Terra Nova. A letter from him aboard Bacchante surfaced in the sale-rooms not so long ago.

https://www.thekeep.info/letter-from-the-archive-from-george-murray-levick-to-mayson-beeton/

What an incredible letter and a dreadful situation to waste the ability of surgeons I wonder how many would have survived with their help.  It never ceases to amaze me the things people have which suddenly surface.  I may have a photo of other ships somewhere but I think a family member has put most of the cards on the internet from the collection in the family.  Wish I could get my hands on them!

I have now seen quotations from two naval surgeons' diaries, as well as Murray Levick's letter above, and all three seem deeply unimpressed by the organisational failings round evacuation and transfer of the wounded. Hardly bears thinking about.

If it is Bacchante then it probably means someone, a secretary, was taking dictation and spelling phonetically. So Ovagon might no start with an O?

44 minutes ago, PhilB said:

If it is Bacchante then it probably means someone, a secretary, was taking dictation and spelling phonetically. So Ovagon might no start with an O?

Maybe the original was handwritten, and a cursive "Ar" in one hand might look  like "Ov" in another.

And we are talking doctors' hands here...

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

On reading the OP again, it looks like Ovagon is not a ship but a shore installation of some sort? 

Edit.

Having re-reread it, it could well be Aragon if she was there at the time. (Stiff with big officers doing nothing)!

Edited by PhilB