The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is "T.A.B.A.C. etc Third Army Troops" ?

Tom P-C

Morning Team,

I'm looking at the Medal Roll Index Card for Maj (T/Lt-Col) Francis Carleton Logan LOGAN OBE, CO 11th Loyal N Lancs R. 

A veteran of the Sierra Leone Hut Tax Rebellion (1898) and Boer War with the 1st Loyal N Lancs R, he was brought out of retirement in WWI and commanded the 11th Service Battalion Loyal N Lancs R from 28 Nov 1914 to 31 Aug 1916.  Immediately afterwards he became the CO of the 20th Battalion, Training Reserve on its formation (see https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/training-reserve/).  I don't know if he continued in the role in May 1917 when that unit was reorganised as the 20th Young Soldier's Battalion.  His card also shows entry to the French theatre in 13 Aug 1918, though I know not in what capacity.

The card also shows him as Lanc Fus for the purposes of his victory medal.  This regiment is also what he "retired from" in 8 Sep 1906 according to the Oct 1916 Army List, though I can't find any other reference to his having served in that regiment.

Questions:

1. Can anyone tell me what "T.A.B.A.C. etc Third Army Troops" means?

2. Does anyone know what he was doing in France in 1918?

3. Can anyone find any reference to his moving from the Loyal N Lancs R to the Lancs Fus?

Thanks and best wishes,

Tom

Logan, FCL MIC.jpg

Edited by Tom P-C
Better phrasing

The Army List is your friend in a matter like this. They are almost entirely, free of charge, at https://digital.nls.uk/gallery/

You should be able to track him right through his career. Example: he is shown as being appointed Class II Staff officer on 13 August 1918.

After all, it was written of them that "These delightful records should have been my constant study"!

And a guess at Third Army Britain And Colonies?

Initials of 

15 hours ago, Jrmh said:

Third Army Britain And Colonies?

George

I think that is a badly written "att" (for attached) rather than "etc". I'll have a look at the Army Lists but I'm sure it's not "Britain and Colonies" which would be meaningless in that context.

Ron

I think you have the bones of it :THIRD ARMY BRIGADE AMMUNITION COLUMN. ATTACHED 3RD ARMY TROOPS.  best w, Howard

When he landed in France on 13 August 1918 it was on a "Special Appointment" https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30880/supplement/10379 which he relinquished on 9 April 1919 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31403/supplement/7618 This latter notification was a substitute for an earlier notification in the gazette (issue 31334 of 9 May 1919 page 5881) which did not include the wording that he was granted the rank of Lt.-Col. on relinquishing his appointment on the Staff. 

He had been on an earlier special appointment on the Staff as of 6 February 1918 https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30582/supplement/3399   

Dear All

Thanks for your help.  My post was mostly about the “TABAC” on the medal index card and I probably should have phrased the remainder of the questions a bit better.  Apologies if it appears I was being lazy with Army Lists/Gazette etc.  I should have made it clearer that it was the transfer date to the Lancashire Fusiliers I was looking for.  Thanks specifically to:

1. “TABAC etc”

Bravo Jmrh, PhilB, George Rayner, Ron_Clifton for the brainstorming that led to the bingo moment by GUEST and collectorsguide (Howard) in identifying “Third Army Brigade Ammunition Column attached 3rd Army Troops” – Thank you.  Genius!

2. What was he doing in France in 1918?

Thanks Chris_Baker for the Class II Staff Officer 13 Aug 1918 info and to HarryBrook for the links to the Gazette at that time.

3. Transfer to Lanc Fus

Thanks Mark1959 and Jrmh for 1904 LG link showing transfer to Lancs Fus

Best wishes all,

Tom

Rude of me perhaps when I don't have an answer, but with some trepidation I ask how does a brigade ammunition column, a Royal Artillery organisation that was discarded in favour of Divisional Ammunition Columns in May 1916 find itself resurrected and subordinated at the end of the war to 3rd Army?

Max

I agree with Max, the Brigade Ammunition Column thesis does seem right. He was a recalled Lt Colonel in Staff appointment. The connection seems very tenuous indeed.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

6 minutes ago, MaxD said:

TR I take it you meant "doesn't seem right"??

Max

Thank you Max, yes, of course. Just testing the system.

TR

I too am suspicious about "Brigade Ammunition Column". There were such columns in the RGA and in Army Field Artillery Brigades, but as MaxD and Terry have pointed out, his job was a staff appointment. I suggest that it may have been "Third Army Base Area Commandant", in charge of housekeeping and discipline around the town where Third Army HQ was based, which in August and September 1918 was Vllers l'Hopital, seven miles north-west of Doullens.

Ron