Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ENGLISH & WELSH SOLDIERS WILLS - NOW MUCH CHEAPER

alf mcm

9 minutes ago, alf mcm said:

The price of soldiers Wills, and other English Wills has now been reduced from £10 to £1.50. Very good news.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?Surname=SMITH&SurnameGrants=SMITH&YearOfDeath=1918&YearOfDeathGrants=1918&IsGrantSearch=False&IsCalendarSearch=False#soldiers

Regards,

Alf McM

About time ! A far more reasonable cost.

Craig

Hear, hear.

I think, on this occasion, I can't object to the price at all - £1.50 is an affordable cost compared to what it was before. If only other things were as reasonable.

Craig

26 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I think, on this occasion, I can't object to the price at all - £1.50 is an affordable cost compared to what it was before. If only other things were as reasonable.

Craig

It still depends, irrespective of price, on the level of service-   £1.50  may still be a bit steep if -as reported-it is a casual worker bashing a sheet or 2 out on an old photocopier.  I hope a recent purchaser at the lower price will report some feedback on this.

I have ordered the Will of Dr. John Keay O.B.E., who was in charge of Bangour War Hospital. He died in 1943. 'Ordinary' {non-Soldier} Wills are also £1.50. I should have the will via e-mail within 10 working days. I then have 30 days to download it. It will be interesting to what it is like.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi,

I thought that all of the (WW1) wills were outsourced for en masse scanning to Iron Mountain plc, who did them in a low resolution B&W format - which was what you got (I believe) when ordering one from the gov.uk website. Perhaps the revised pricing structure reflects the poor quality of the images, and/or the commissioning body trying to generate more sales to recoup their costs as a result of low take up???

It still depends, irrespective of price, on the level of service-   £1.50  may still be a bit steep if -as reported-it is a casual worker bashing a sheet or 2 out on an old photocopier.

Unless you are talking about workers rights/pay (which I don't know about), I think that depends on how much you want the info/image - £1.50 is well shy of a 1/2 down my local.

Regards

Chris

10 hours ago, alf mcm said:

ENGLISH SOLDIERS WILLS

The price of soldiers Wills, and other English Wills has now been reduced from £10 to £1.50. Very good news.

By 'English' do you mean 'English' or does this relate to any soldier who died while serving in the British armed forces between 1850 and 1986?

The Soldiers Wills exclude Scottish and Irish born soldiers, Welsh soldiers should be included. I have revised the title of this thread to show this.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm

• alf mcm changed the title to ENGLISH & WELSH SOLDIERS WILLS - NOW MUCH CHEAPER
16 hours ago, clk said:

Hi,

I thought that all of the (WW1) wills were outsourced for en masse scanning to Iron Mountain plc, who did them in a low resolution B&W format - which was what you got (I believe) when ordering one from the gov.uk website. Perhaps the revised pricing structure reflects the poor quality of the images, and/or the commissioning body trying to generate more sales to recoup their costs as a result of low take up???

Unless you are talking about workers rights/pay (which I don't know about), I think that depends on how much you want the info/image - £1.50 is well shy of a 1/2 down my local.

Regards

Chris

Chris- the answer to the  problem above may well come to you if you look at the following:

Casualty first names- John Clarence

Rank- Lieutenant

Unit- 13th Durham Light Infantry

Date- October 1917

:wub:

On a more sober note, then the reduction in price suggests that the wills were indeed scanned en masse- Thus, I would suspect that the price reduction is to sump the last gasps of a market that will pay a specific cost before the scans go on one of the  major online systems-Ancestry,FMP,etc. My best guess would be that they will appear on Fold 3. Time will tell.

Sorry if this seems somewhat naive but if every soldier made a will but didn’t die where did they go? I am trying to clarify if they were officially collected or given to pals to keep. I cannot find any wills for those I am researching whether they were killed or survived. 

Hi Alison,

Not a complete or authoritative answer, but soldiers weren't required to make a will, so some did and others didn't. Another observation is that in a fair few service files I've seen for men that survived, some appear to have made a will as there is a document that said it had been returned, but the file doesn't contain a copy of the will itself.

Regards

Chris