Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/Corp Cecil Hales 2nd Northamptonshire Regiment

warproject

I wondered if any one has information about the above soldier who was taken a prisoner of war.

I know he was the son of Alice E Broughton who married Frank Hales.

I have seen his medal card.

T.I.A.

Sandy

The  Red Cross POW record for him that Charlie cites  gives his battalion as 1st Battalion. The three records are also on Findmypast.   Taken prisoner at Nieuport July 1917. wounded..

More in a moment.

Max

Edited by MaxD
Charlie quicker off the mark!

He was in Malta with the 2nd Northants in 1911.

Spent most of his life in Kettering apparently...photo taken around 1956. If you grasp the nettle and join Ancestry some of his tree is on there, it looks as though it could be compiled by a Great Grandson.

Screenshot_20190723-134537.jpg

Screenshot_20190723-133441.jpg

Edited by sadbrewer

Although his service record has not survived and his medal records show 2nd Battalion, it was 1st Battalion that was in action at Nieuport and who had over 500 casualties (killed/wounded/missing total) so he would have transferred at some time from 2nd Battalion.  (2nd Battalion were in the Ypres area)  His number suggest he joined in 1908 and, if he had signed for a standard 7 years with the colours followed by 5 on reserve he would have been serving at the outset.  His date of arrival in France was 6 November 1914 which was when 2nd Battalion landed. 

The war diary for 1st Battalion has a detailed account of 10 July 1917 on Ancestry here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_1271_0-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43112_1271_0-00000  at the National Archives here:https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14052712

Good reading here on LLT https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/battles/battles-of-the-western-front-in-france-and-flanders/operation-hush-including-the-battle-of-the-dunes/

Max

Edited by MaxD
wording re service

Thank you all for the excellent information on the above soldier.

I was aware of the tree and also have the war diaries but not when so thank you again.

Also for the link to Prisoners of War for Cecil.

Greatly appreciated.

Sandy

• 2 years later...

Sandy, I was just browsing the internet and entered my Grandfathers Name “Cecil Hales” and up popped the question you asked on this site, about 3 years ago. 

Can I ask the reason for your interest ?

I have gathered some of his military history and would be happy to share, if you are still seeking more information.

regards Mike Hales