Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where is the grave of Gunner William Harman?

stephen binks

It's been along time since I updated forum members regarding our "SomeKindHand" Pilgrimage. Do not fear that we are still committed to its completion. We returned from France in July 2018, mainly due to Nancy's continued health issues, but have been back for two further periods this year. In April/May we spent four weeks close to Cambrai and all but completed burial grounds associated with the Battle of the Hindenburg Line (September 1918) and the advance to the river Selle. in total we completed a further 126 further burial grounds and said "thank you" to 28,412 known and unknown servicemen.

In June we stayed close to Maubeuge where we visited sites mostly associated with the Battle of the Sambre, First, Third and Fourth Army sectors. We completed a further 114 burial grounds and said "thank you" to a further 6,731, the vast majority buried in communal cemeteries. 

So finally my question. Although we visited Maubeuge Centre communal cemetery on three occasions, we failed to find the isolated grave of Gunner Harman. He died of wounds on the 25th August 1914 and is buried amongst civilian graves and not in the British plot. The CWGC entry states "French Military Plot 1". But this entry is from the original register and this plot "100 yards distance from British plot", is no longer a military plot!

I made two enquires to the concierge - no answer; asked the local grave digger - shrug of shoulders and finally contacted the CWGC who confirmed that the grave is the usual portland headstone. I would be really grateful to any member who knows the exact position of this grave as we will be returning to this sector to complete the remaining burial grounds of Nord, Hainaut and Aisne in Sept/Oct.

Thank you

Stephen & Nancy Binks

SomeKindHand

What a task you have undertaken. A photo on Google shows this

Image result for gunner harman maubeuge cemetery

Hope it may help. It states it is in the French plot.

George

George

Thank you, although I feel a bit of an idiot. Is this the French plot behind the British plot?

If so it means his grave has been moved and CWGC have not updated their records!!

Thanks again

Sorry Stephen I have no idea...just googled on the off chance but site doesn't contain any further information

By the look of the background it is outside the 'civilian' cemetery.

George

This looks like it, in an area at the northern edge of Maubeuge Centre which looks like a military cemetery. There is a white patch against a hedge, with a row of markers in front of it, which might be the grave.

Looking over the wall on Street View confirms that there are two rows of crosses, and the top of a CWGC grave marker is just visible.

The co-ordinates for the marker are:

50.285520  3.971864.

Michael

Maubeuge.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Michael Pegum