The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.E. George Kirk 22066

KIRKY

Have asked some time ago about my Grandfathers service in WW1. I know he was in Gibralter with the 15th Unit and then came to England but after the main body had been transferred to the UK.

I know where he was after being in France he went to Turkey and Egypt. He took many photos of this post war period but still hopeful of finding out where he was during WW1.

I remember he went to Calais first in the workshops but have no idea where he was afterwards.

I attach a copy of his statemnt of service which gives various references to different units etc which I cannot identify. So is there someone with knowledge of the Royal Engineers who can piece together his History so I can one day walk in his footsteps.

Tony

photww1_20190722_0001.jpg

Kirky

As hsi record says, he qualified as an engine driver pre-war. These were static engines either oil or diesel. With regard to the Gibraltar units not only was he was with 15 Company but was transferred to 1 Fortress Company. The company was primarily engaged in operating searchlights on the Rock and his trade as engine driver fits in well with this. They were quartered at St Jago's Barracks which is now the Gibraltar tax offices.  

The company was commanded by Major Jonathon William Shirley Sewell who would later become Director of Engineer Stores, BEF as Brigadier-General. Their movements were as follows:

22.4.15 - Left Gibraltar for UK. Replaced by 1/4 Devon Works Coy (later 615 Fortress Coy)

28.4.15 - Arrived UK and converted to an Advanced Park Coy.

23.6.15 - Arrived Boulogne and entrained for Calais

25.6.15 - 1 section work at Fort Nieulay, water supply of remount camps. Remainder levelling ground at No1 Camp for ablution blocks.

16.1.16 -  HQ Moved to Les Attaques. 

3.5.16 - Became No1 Base Park Coy and remained there until 5 Jan 1919.

He was transferred to the Establishment for Engineer Services  on 12.4.16. An explanation of their work is here,  just click on the transfer link:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/y23tqszf

There is no way of telling his location during his time with EES I'm afraid.  Incidentally DoW stands for Director of Works under whom EES came.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Wow thanks Terry thats great, did you get this info from his sheet or other sources? Any idea where he may have gone after 1916?

I always hoped he was an engine driver on the Somme and why I am so obsessed about that area!!

Tony

Tony

It comes from a number of sources and some of my own research in Gibraltar over the years. I served with 1st Fortress Squadron in the early 1970's and  have had an interest in the Rock ever since then.

The sources are:

WD of 1st Base Park, downloadable from TNA

Gibraltar Fortress Order Books 

RE History Vol IV

Various maps and drawings at TNA

Personal visits to Gibraltar with regard to barracks, defence electric light locations etc.

With regard to EES, there are no particular locations and those involved were unlikely to have been in the front line.

TR

7 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Tony

It comes from a number of sources and some of my own research in Gibraltar over the years. I served with 1st Fortress Squadron in the early 1970's and  have had an interest in the Rock ever since then.

The sources are:

WD of 1st Base Park, downloadable from TNA

Gibraltar Fortress Order Books 

RE History Vol IV

Various maps and drawings at TNA

Personal visits to Gibraltar with regard to barracks, defence electric light locations etc.

With regard to EES, there are no particular locations and those involved were unlikely to have been in the front line.

TR

THanks Terry you have been most helpful.

Tony