Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where specifically was AEF Cemetery 33?

My wife's great uncle was an aviator in General Pershing's Aviation Section Signal Corps. He died on the third day of the Battle of Saint Mihiel on 14 Sep 1918 and was temporarily buried at AEF Cemetery 33, Grave 73. I see that the location for Cemetery 33 is given as the department of Indre et Loire.  Isn't that somewhat far from Saint Mihiel? Where specifically was this cemetery located? What is there now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. Cemetery 33 is apparently Cimetiere Saint-Symphorien, which appears to be across the Loire River from the HQ location of the U.S.Army organization that performed procurement and supply operations in Feance.  

Some further questions I have: 

Did the Aviation Section, Signal Corps have a training airfield at Tours (as I seem to recall)? If so, would it be reasonable to conclude that the bodies of American pilots and observer aviators killed at Saint Mihiel (of which it seems there may have been about 20) could have been taken to Tours for burial? 

How many Americans killed in the war were buried in Cemetery 33? When were the last of those bodies removed, or are some still there?