The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SMLE sight query

Wellsy

Hi all. I noticed so many SMLE experts here I'd thought I'd try here here first.

I've picked up a 1917 BSA SHTLE,  It hasn't got to the range yet but I noticed the rear sight has some left-right play when pressed with my thumb.  There's float at the pivot pin (an original 3 piece). 

Is this normal or will a new pin rectify it?   

The movement is probably 1-2 mm overall but with a small sight radius I'm concerned;  especially given the sight will stay either left or right when pushed and not re-center itself.  Also I'm planning some service competition in its future. 

I cant find anything on this so all advice appreciated.

SMLE rear.jpg

Edited by Wellsy

Looks very nice , I have one myself and there is no play on the sight at all and ime sure this will give you issues when target shooting at the range. All i can suggest it that you take it to a decent gunsmith to check it out. I know for a fact that mine in the deepest wilds of Cornwall could do this for you. Good luck with the zeroing and enjoy.

Andy

Cheers Andy. I guessed that was the case but wishfull thinking..

The furniture is a bit knocked up but apart from this the working parts are all first rate.  I'm about as far from Cornwall as you can get but will ring around tomorrow and see if anyone's able to help, else I'll try changing the pin etc  

I'd want to check the pin and crossholes to see if either of 'em's to size. If it's just the pin that's worn a new one should be obtainable. Otherwise you need someone with a lathe to drill/ream out the crossholes and washer so they're round, straight and parallel, then turn you a new pin to a close running fit in whatever size you end up with.

That's what I did, and shot the result for about 15 years with reasonable success. Didn't win any comps, but it'd shred a fag packet with 10 rounds rapid offhand at 100 yards.

Thanks MikB.  There's a shop here (West Oz) suggesting a new pin or shimming so they can have a look. Hopefully it'll still shoot straight because re zeroing with that screw looks like it'll be painful..?

Edited by Wellsy

Update - fixed by pressing the pin supports in to remove the loose fit. Looks like a good solution as the arm still sits parallel with and in the middle of the ramps.  We'll see when we get to the range.

• 2 weeks later...