Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

His Majesty's factory in Bristol

ddycher

All

I'm trying to track down one of HM's factories in Bristol. Its seems to be "Stenbury" but I can't find a suitable candidate. Anyone have any ideas ?

Regards

Dave

Edited by ddycher

47 minutes ago, ddycher said:

"Stenbury" 

Henbury? What did the factory produce?

This might be of relevance - the address for Chittening National Filling Factory, which charged chemical shells with HS (sulphur mustard), was Chittening NFF, Chittening, Henbury, near Bristol.

HS was manufactured at an adjacent plant at Avonmouth.

Edited by 14276265
Chittening NFF details added

Thanks.

Not sure what was produced there. One of the men I am researching was a driver there in '17~18.

Regards

Dave

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1918_Directory_of_Manufacturers_in_Engineering_and_Allied_Trades:_National_Factories

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/1918_Directory_of_Manufacturers_in_Engineering_and_Allied_Trades

1918 Directory of Manufacturers in Engineering and Allied Trades: National Factories from Grace's Guide to British Industrial History

I couldn't see Stenbury  mentioned.

16 hours ago, ddycher said:

One of the men I am researching was a driver there in '17~18.

Chittening National Filling Factory, Henbury, was created at the end of 1917 on a site that covered 200 acres. 6-inch chemical shell were filled with mustard gas delivered by railway tank wagon from Avonmouth, and a site of the size is likely to have had MT drivers to move empty and filled shell from and to the railway sidings.

Does the "Stenbury" occur on a handwritten note? Do you have address details for the man? 

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks all. I think you have pinpointed it with Henbury. Thank you for your help. 

Regards

Dave