Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for information on Robert Cameron HLI

Logan

Great. That confirms the 'Bugler' bit that I was looking for. Also tells us that his father was James. No mention of 'Sole Legatee' thus not neccessarily a will ?

Charlie

2 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Here's John M Cameron's entry from the Register of Soldiers Effects

1975738833_JohnMCameronHLIsoldierseffects.jpg.cbe4f99148476e64461ae6aa76734a03.jpg

Craig's War Gratuity calculator suggests and enlistment date between 4th and 12th August 1914

J

On this one I think it's an artefact of my calculator with the start of war crossing with the war gratuity - I think he was a pre-war enlistment from looking at the service numbers.

#1301 6th Bn enlisted 21 April 1912

#1312 6th Bn enlisted 30 April 1912

Suggests he enlisted at age 14,

Craig

45 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Which fits with your post earlier.

But I've not come up with any civil info for John Murdoch Campbell Cameron, son of James, born c1898 Glasgow. Scottish records are harder to access.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

Just now, charlie962 said:

But I've not come up with any civil info for John Murdoch Campbell, son of James, born c1898 Glasgow. Scottish records are harder to access.

Charlie

They are - I find Scottish records a pain to access.

Craig

40 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

On this one I think it's an artefact of my calculator with the start of war crossing with the war gratuity - I think he was a pre-war enlistment from looking at the service numbers.

#1301 6th Bn enlisted 21 April 1912

#1312 6th Bn enlisted 30 April 1912

Craig

Thanks for that Craig, I should have noted that earlier in the thread

J

Just now, jay dubaya said:

Thanks for that Craig, I should have noted that earlier in the thread 

J

No problem at all.

10 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

But I've not come up with any civil info for John Murdoch Campbell, son of James, born c1898 Glasgow. Scottish records are harder to access.

Charlie

Presume Campbell is a typo for Cameron ?

Nearest John M Campbell can see is this one on the 1901 census - https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=uJS161&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&dbid=1101&gsfn=john murdoch&gsln=cameron&cp=0&msbdy=1898&msbpn__ftp=glasgow&new=1&rank=1&uidh=784&redir=false&gss=angs-d&pcat=35&fh=0&h=2078306&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

Born 1897. Father James and Mother Elizabeth.

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

Presume Campbell is a typo for Cameron ?

Indeed, silly me. Corrected. As a Lowlander, all these Highland names seem the same.

Charlie

12 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Ah, Ancestry. Closed at the moment to me. Here it is on FindmyPast

I do see this one on Findmypast 1901 Census:

John Cameron, born 1897 Glasgow, son of James M and Emma L Cameron.

Didn't see a John M ?

Edited by charlie962

3 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Ah, Ancestry. Closed at the moment to me.

I do see this one on Findmypast 1901 Census:

John Cameron, born 1897 Glasgow, son of James M and Emma L Cameron.

Didn't see a John M ?

This is the FMP copy of the Ancestry 1901 census (I had to search for the youngest son to find it)

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBC%2F1901%2F0037502244

Craig

Sorry Craig I'd spotted it and amended my post. It looks a good possibility but I've tried newspapers without success and 1911 census is, I think, only on Scotlands People ?

Charlie

7 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

Sorry Craig I'd spotted it and amended my post. It looks a good possibility but I've tried newspapers without success and 1911 census is, I think, only on Scotlands People ?

Charlie

It is, the 1911 census is quite locked down compared to the earlier ones.

Craig

How do they select Service Numbers for each man, by numerical order or some other method , grandfather was #1549 and he enlisted  on 6/5/1913

Well looks like I missed a bunch of posts, I thought they flagged new posts any way. Thanks for all the input  I use findmypast and Scotlands People for the family research I am doing.  The 1901 Census for James and Elizabeth seems to fit. Going to get on to Ancestry and see if I can find any descendants.  

Looks like James Cameron married Elizabeth Brodie 1895 in Tradestown, two sons John M. and Charles B. in Tradestown . In 1891 there was a James Montgomery living at Tradestown.

7 hours ago, Logan said:

How do they select Service Numbers for each man, by numerical order or some other method , grandfather was #1549 and he enlisted  on 6/5/1913

In theory yes but sometimes numbers were issued in different orders - for example John Smith might enlist on 5 May 13 but his paperwork was sent to HQ on 7 May 13 whereas Tommy Atkins enlisted 6 May 13 and his paperwork was sent in the same day.

The HQ may pick up Atkins' papers first and allocate #123 whereas Smith's might be next in the pile and get #124.

It can get even more complicated once the war starts.

Keep in mind though  that there was no army wide numbering, each regiment had its own range for regular, sometimes another one for special reservists and an individual range for each territorial battalion.

Craig

well I can look at 1911 in Scotland s People from a distance, There is a James, a Elizabeth and John Cameron living in Kelvin. They are the correct ages . The younger Cameron, Charles seems to have not on any Census. I did not download the actual form.