Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POSSIBLE SOUTH LANACSHIRE MAN- CAP BADGE ID IF POSS

Below is a picture, from a family source, believed to show LCPL John Parrish, 2nd South Lancashires.  He was KIA on 25th September 1915.  Previously enlisted 3rd Special Reserve Bn Essex Regiment in early 1911, then S. Lancs. from November 1911-his 18th Birthday. He is listed as a Private when wounded in France in December 1914 but a LCPL  at death.

Would some kindly colleague please identify the cap badge, if poss. I am aware that a mere blob at a thousand paces if usually sufficient for your expertise.  Although no other member of  the family from whom this pic. was borrowed would fit, I am still not sure about the kit or the ID from cap badge

1073308453_JohnParrish-Query.jpg.7cecddce39594039353f9e3fe55ecee6.jpg

No expert but looks like a RA driver to me.

Any RA men in the family, Mike?

Craig

Cap badge definitely RA be it field, horse or garrison, the spurs and crop would also suggest a Driver as Craig suggests and L/Cpl 

J

I agree that he is RA but the single stripe could indicate a bombardier, or acting/lance bombardier, but not lance corporal, which the RA didn't have.

Ron

3 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

single stripe could indicate a bombardier, or acting/lance bombardier, but not lance corporal, which the RA didn't have.

This I know, my slip after looking at the image so thank you for the correction Ron

J

Artillery certainly, but the most striking thing to me is how young he looks.

Dave.

16 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Artillery certainly, but the most striking thing to me is how young he looks.

Dave.

Perhaps a mascot.

The Bolton Artillery mascot was pictured in the Bolton Evening News in 1915 and named as Robert Pike, age 11, of 228 Halliwell Rd. He was the son of the tailor to the Bolton Artillery and his brother William had joined the Bolton Artillery Reserve Brigades and was training in Southport. 

Is there any writing on the postcard.

Brian

29 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

Perhaps a mascot.

The Bolton Artillery mascot was pictured in the Bolton Evening News in 1915 and named as Robert Pike, age 11, of 228 Halliwell Rd. He was the son of the tailor to the Bolton Artillery and his brother William had joined the Bolton Artillery Reserve Brigades and was training in Southport. 

Is there any writing on the postcard.

Brian

Certainly a possibility, even the hands look young...a few portraits of WW1 mascots/boy soldiers on here....http://www.ddoughty.com/boy-soldiers-ww1--ww2.html

Is there a possibility he was a cadet of some sort???.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

Thank you folks-  Very enlightening.  I has fancied it was a  Royal Artillery badge  and that the bandolier would likely be pre-war.  It is possible that  he was a cadet but his known service record is as above.  The family are not tall-even nowadays- so that may account for it. I was unwilling  to speculate on the badge in case a more knowledgeable expert (which is all of you) came out and said something like "No, it's the South Squidgiepore Mounted Dishwashers" or similar.  I would agree on RA pre-war and will ask family member  about other family who served in the Great War