Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry Division Royal Engineers - Mesopotamia

Blue Dragoon

Hello

I'm doing some research on my Gt Gt Uncle 32444 Sapper Fredrick John Barratt (1878-1970) Royal Engineers

My bottom line question up front is I'm trying to find out what a Field Engineer Squadron attached to a Cavalry Formation did!!  How did they get about? Foot? Horse?  Whats sort of Cav Fmn support tasks did they do (particularly in Mesopotamia)?

I have read the LLT summary for generic Fd Engr roles and tasks

I have all Freddie's details, Service record, MIC, MIR.  A Summary of his Service Record is below:

·         15 Dec 1914 Recruiting Office questionnaire completed

·         29 Apr 1915 Transferred to training depot

·         15 May 1915 – RE Field Sqn 2nd Indian Cavalry Division to France

·         7 Jul 1916 – Embarked Marseilles 7th Cav Bde Fd Tp

·         26 Aug 1916 – Disembarked Basrah

·         28 Jan 1917 – With unit

·         16 May 1917 – With unit

·         15 Aug 1917 – With unit

·         6-13 Oct 1917 – Admitted 19 CCFA Diarrhoea

·         14 Oct 1917 – Re-joined unit

·         29 Sep 1918 – Left unit for leave UK

·         17 Oct 1918 – Embarked Basrah

·         16 Dec 1918 – Struck off Strength

·         21Jan 1919 - Final Medical Examination, Aldershot

·         25 Jan 1919 - Protection and Identity Certificate issued – No 8 Dispersal Unit, Clipstone

·         22 Feb 1919 - Transferred to Z Class Army Reserve on Mobilisation

I know broadly where the 7th (Meerut)(Indian) Cav Bde deployed

The brigade arrived in Mesopotamia in August 1916 where it served as an independent brigade, as part of the Cavalry Division from 8 December 1916 to 8 April 1918, and as an independent brigade to the end of the war.

With the division, it took part in the Second Battle of Kut including the Advance to the Hai and Capture of the Khudaira Bend (14 December 1916–19 January 1917), the Capture of the Hai Salient (25 January–5 February 1917), and the Capture of the Dahra Bend (9–16 February).

It then took part in the Pursuit to Baghdad and a number of actions later in 1917. In 1918 it took part in the Affair of Kulawand (27 April) and the Action of Tuz Khurmatli (29 April). 

Freddie Barratt had left Mesopotamia before the Action at Fat-ha Gorge on the Little Zab (23–26 October 1918) and the Battle of Sharqat (28–30 October 1918).  

After the Armistice of Mudros, the brigade was selected to form part of the occupation forces for Mesopotamia. The brigade was finally broken up in late 1920.

But what did the Field Squadron do and how did they do it???

Are there any other sources of reference you think I should consult?  Cant seem to find any relevant Bde or Div War diaries

Many thanks for any help

George

George

They carried out much the same duties as their dismounted comrades. They were equipped with double tool carts and they were mounted, hence the title squadron rather than company.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

From Vol 111 The Great War Medal Collectors Companion by Howard Williamson

Royal Engineers, Field Squadrons and Field Troops

On mobilisation, there existed only one Field Squadron and one Field Troop (ie 1st Field Squadron and 4th Field Troop). orders were received in August 14  for the formation of the 2nd and 3rd Field Squadrons. These were followed by the 6th ,7th 8th,and  9th.Field Troops, which were formed for service in Egypt and Salonika 9These units were formed in Egypt). Towards the end of 1915 the 4th and 5th Field Squadrons were formed in France for service  with the 4th and 5th (Indian ) Cavalry Divisions.

In late 1916  the two Field Troops in Salonika transferred to Egypt. They were joined by no 10 Imperial Camel Brigade Field Troop, newly formed in Egypt. The Field Troops in Egypt at this time were 6th, 7th,8th, 9th, and 10th. During 1918 the 6th , 7th and 9th formed no 6 Field Squadron while the 8th and 10th Field Troops formed no 7 Field Squadron.

The 4th and 5th  Field Squadrons were broken up in April 1918. Their personnel used as reinforcements  for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Field Squadrons and to supply personnel for a Field Troop that was sent to India with the Cavalry Brigade. 

The work of Field Squadrons 1915-1918

Acting as Field Companies when their divisions were dismounted  and sent into the line 

Digging Parties.

Making and teaching  the use of their bridging equipment

Installing water points for animals

Making Cavalry Tracks in case of breakthrough

Working Dismounted on general trench work

Working on billeting accommodation  of the Cavalry Division

Instructing the Cavalry or Field Engineers on the use of Bombs and hand grenades

Filling gaps in the Line

Eddie

Many thanks Terry and Eddie, much appreciated