Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Just another "smelly" ol' rifle

Steve1871

Does not have a lot of marking's to it. BSA. 1916, so saw use, most likely in the trenches. Sorry about upside down pic's

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Lovely weapon there mate. I remember my 1915 dated with mag cut off was lovely to shoot -

I really must get another!

Cheers, Daniel

Thank's RedCoat.

It really is dark and needs a good cleaning. Do you know how late they had brass butt plates? I thought they were changed to steel at some point during the war?

All the examples I have had always had brass, not steel. After you've cleaned it, will you put a round through it?

Cheers, Daniel

Is that a * struck through after the 'III' on the wrist?

Were III*s ever converted back?

Did Mk.IIIs or III*s ever have volley sights or windage backsights?

I know my Mk.III* had a windage backsight, because I put it there, but I didn't think it was ever standard. Dunno.

I am a collector at heart, but a trucker at work ( the big lorrys) I always want to shoot my rifles, but sadly, I have not shot a rifle in over / years. I have a dozen or so British, R.I.C.,  N.Z.  Metford.  L.E.

C.L.L.E.  No.1 Mk 1...3...5. No4 .T

and earlier stuff, would like but a case of light ball ammo and do a big .303 shoot, but no have friends interested in that stuff

Hey MikeB

thanks for your reply's, Britton dropped the volley sights to easy./ speed up mass production. Which took time, there were\ are many No.1 Mk.3 rifles up to 1915 or 1916 that still had them

rhanks afain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Interesting to see the 1916 dated example has volley sights, I didn't realise this feature had been utilised after 1914, interesting they were still manufacturing guns with that feature until 1916. 

looks a good honest original looking example.

best wishes,

Jim

Thanks Jimmy9fingers1. Jim

I know volley sight's were phased out during the war. I guess each plant did their own thing. U have seen several 1915 with them

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 11:08, MikB said:

Is that a * struck through after the 'III' on the wrist?

Were III*s ever converted back?

Did Mk.IIIs or III*s ever have volley sights or windage backsights?

I know my Mk.III* had a windage backsight, because I put it there, but I didn't think it was ever standard. Dunno.

I have a 1916 dated Enfield made rifle with the * struck through, too. The only Mk lll feature it has is a cut-off fitted.  No windage adjustable rear sight and no provision for volley sights.  Probably in the adjustment period following the approval of the Mk lll* there would have been examples slipping through with Mk lll features.  The struck through * does intrigue me, though.

No probs Steve 1871, everyday is a school day, this a great forum.

And 593jones that's interesting you mention, your rifle with the star struck out sounds very similar to a 1917 smle that I had. In fact it's the same spec and it always intreagued me as to why a magazine cut-off was fitted and the star crossed out. Maybe this was an inter war specification?. No doubt someone on this forum will know.

Regards Jim 

It is like a treasure hunt for us collectors!I have too many post out. I need to wait awhile, but here is a very interesting/ strange marking, not sure of the bottom marking's , stars , or if first Mark on bottom is a (1) or something else ?😳 the rifle is a No.1 Mk.1

I wonder how many variation's there are of No1  Mk 3,  with cut off's, volley sites, rear site variations, ( India) wire wrapped with grenade cup, may be some stock variation's. I sure there are books out there, and I even have a few. But I in a truck , 18 wheeler in U.S., there is no room for me to keep a library of reference books

image.jpg

An 18-wheeler! Heck! Hope that you are not "Rubber Duck"?!!! Either way, watch out for "...them smokies is thick as bugs on a bumper"...:thumbsup:

You'll have to get your reference library scanned and use them on the computer!

I will be hammer down rubber necking for smokie bear as I try to eat some miles, just grabbed some " go go juice" (fuel) at a " choke-N- Puke ( truck stop) , rolling

:thumbsup: Take care!