Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8th Argyll and Sutherland

iainmcr

Hi folks,

I'm hoping some of you may be able to help out. I'm researching the history of the 1/8th Argylls from mobilisation at Dunoon Aug 14 until disbanding early 19. I have the bones of a story from war diaries etc but I'm missing the personal stuff, diary entries, letters, poems, photographs. So does anyone have anything they'd be willing to share and hopefully see published? Full credit will be given to the source of any material.

I'm also wondering, during the closure of the Argyll's museum, if anyone has access to the war diary during the period Feb to 1st June when the 8th were in the 61st Division?

My main motivation for this was my grandfather L/Cpl John McRobbie MM who served with the 1/8th late 1915 to March 1919.

Thanks,

Iain

The 183 Bde WD page that announces the battalions arrival is here (Ancestry): https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_3059_0-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43112_3059_0-00034. It would be worth examining the remainder for mentions.

Here's the WD at the NA. It's probably on Ancestry somewhere but I can't find it: https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352800

Acknown

Iain,

If during your research you happen to come across any mention of Archibald (Archie) Hamilton Douglas Orde Richmond, I'd be very grateful to know.

Thanks!

seaJane

14 hours ago, Acknown said:

Aha. Here is the WD for Apr to Jun 18 on Ancestry: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43112_1944_0-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return#?imageId=43112_1944_0-00000. It was filed by 51 Div. I can't find Feb 18.

Acknown

Thanks for that, I must be losing my marbles as I'd forgotten that I'd downloaded that about a year back, to be fair I've had my research on ice for quite some time, but now I've retired I'm back on the case (or perhaps not as it would appear).

11 hours ago, seaJane said:

Iain,

If during your research you happen to come across any mention of Archibald (Archie) Hamilton Douglas Orde Richmond, I'd be very grateful to know.

Thanks!

seaJane

I will do

On 18/07/2019 at 16:14, iainmcr said:

I'm also wondering, during the closure of the Argyll's museum, if anyone has access to the war diary during the period Feb to 1st June when the 8th were in the 61st Division?

Although closed to visitors, they seem still to be very active on FB, so have you tried them to see what research they can still undertake?

• 8 months later...
On 19/07/2019 at 16:33, Steven Broomfield said:

Although closed to visitors, they seem still to be very active on FB, so have you tried them to see what research they can still undertake?

I have done thanks, their archive is safely stored away for the " duration" however the museum is local to me plus my mother worked in the Argylls RHQ for 35 years so I'm known there. I'll be one of the first up there when they reopen.