Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visit to Portsmouth. What to see?

rolt968

The site of Portsmouth Airport has been an industrial estate for many years. It's link with WW1 has been with a Sandhurst cadet and future novelist, Nevil Norway Shute, who worked for Airspeed. He has a road named after him.

Curiously enough, there is a WW1 Remembrance museum on the industrial estate.

It's address is:

Bastion, 6 Airport Service Rd, Portsmouth PO3 5PJ

Phone: 023 9279 8751

https://www.facebook.com/Ww1RemembranceCentre/ 

Google is suggesting that it is next open on Tuesday at 11am.

If you venture further afield, to the Eastney-Hayling ferry, you should be able to see the remains of a Mulberry harbour caisson that never made it to Normandy. Close by is Fort Cumberland, now occupied by British Heritage, but this is usually closed to the public. It's a very good example of Napoleonic architecture. I think the Royal Marines ceased to occupy it in 1975.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. I'm on my way home having seen a lot and left a lot unseen. I will post some pictures when I get home.

RM

did you have to pay extra to see "the rose"?

On 21/07/2019 at 16:41, Keith_history_buff said:

The site of Portsmouth Airport has been an industrial estate for many years. It's link with WW1 has been with a Sandhurst cadet and future novelist, Nevil Norway Shute, who worked for Airspeed. He has a road named after him.

I think back in 1916 members of the RND had something to say about a certain Shute ....

No#one mentioned the M275. As it leads away from Portsmouth into the bautiful Hampshire countryside it's a pearl among roads.

1 hour ago, Don Regiano said:

I think back in 1916 members of the RND had something to say about a certain Shute ....

Different Shute. The novelist was actually Nevil Shute Norway (served in the GW in the Suffolk Regiment and was a stretcher bearer in the Easter Rising). I'm not sure he moved into aeronautics before the 20s.

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

Different Shute. The novelist was actually Nevil Shute Norway (served in the GW in the Suffolk Regiment and was a stretcher bearer in the Easter Rising). I'm not sure he moved into aeronautics before the 20s.

Yup, appreciated that sJ.  With apologies to Keith_h_b, I couldn't resist the reference as I found the poem quite amusing given the circumstances and the fact that the wife's great-uncle who was in 2 RMLI was wounded at the Ancre in November 1916.

Ah, ok, couldn't tell how serious you were!

4 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Ah, ok, couldn't tell how serious you were!

No probs sJ.  You must have been talking to my wife.  I must try harder in future.

Reg

Most of the photos are disappointing. Too many people around, especially below decks:

Victory4.jpg.bdef74fdb63288e48e050b1eff763d69.jpgVictory3.jpg.870c5e8753bc71e0e7ee8d3c60a0b8a1.jpg

M331.jpg.a3564c1fa1d3c1c8fda0f425c42276bd.jpgM332.jpg.8b0b6ac588bf9a9479991029cc3e9a0f.jpg

Warrior1.jpg.cb93acac5d66b8dfa09af3503d742e96.jpg

In spite of my best efforts. I did not get to anything in Boatshed 4 (and much else)!

(I have a bump on my head from the low beams in Victory!)

Many thanks to everyone for their advice.

RM