Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Strange German uit marking

Steve1871

Another standard K.71 Mauser, 

Most unit marking's are on the shoulder, this one is on bottom, not too scarce , but the way it is marked in two lines when there is plenty of room to do all in one line is also strange. If anyone has any ideas? Any help would be great, thank's guy's 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Few more pix's of Karbine,sorry 2 pic's upside down

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello Steve!

I´m not sure with Husaren-Regiment 14. Hussards had only a single H with the numbers, no R. Is it an "H" or a "II"?

Unfortunately I don´ thave an idea about H.R.

Well, the H could be Großherzoglich but that gets us no further as they did not have 14 regiments....

Hi Julian!

I don´t think so. That would be GH (if that was used in stamps...)

If you expert's are not sure , with all your history and personal library's, then I really am stumped.

Thank you guy's for your reply's!!

23 hours ago, The Prussian said:

Hi Julian!

I don´t think so. That would be GH (if that was used in stamps...)

Silly me, I should have written that 'H' was for (Großherzoglich) HESSISCHEN But hey did not have 14 regiments

14 hours ago, Steve1871 said:

If you expert's are not sure , with all your history and personal library's, then I really am stumped.

Thank you guy's for your reply's!!

Well, it really is a mystifying one...!!!

Another guess:

Rekrutendepot, Husaren-Regiment 14.

But did recruit-depots have companies???

Or it is really Hus.Rgt.14 according to a stamp-ordre between 1866 and 1871 (The 2. Kurhessisches Husaren-Regiment became Hus.Rgt.14 in 1866 and Wacker/Görtz mentioned the ordre from 1871)

Edited by The Prussian

No, I don't think Rekrutendepot had companies or squadrons.... However, it is worth looking into the other suggestion,:thumbsup: the 2.Kurhessisches Hussar regiment. Unfortunately I go away in an hours or so on a two day trip from Ankara, with early morning classes on Monday when I get back, and so probably won't be able to follow up this one till then.

Hi Julian!

That would be interesting, if someone has the regulations of that era (66-71)

Tomorrow I´ll be off too, I´ll enjoy your 4th interest in your personal informations...:D

Cheers mate!

Edited by The Prussian

It seem's that the first part of the unit marking is still a mystery.I guess the first part has to be figured out before the rest

The unit, 14. HR 4.  29  could easily fit in standard one line, together , but this marking is broken into two lines, and still, in both lines. The marking's are spaced far apart. I find this, just as strange. 

Thought's anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

I must get back to this one - my 2-day absence became a 10-day one and then I had to catch up on a missed week's teaching! By bumping it up, then I'll be reminding myself...!!!

Julian