Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pheasants

paul guthrie

In 1997 I saw a good # of Chinese ring neck pheasant near Mud Corner and Prowse's Point Cemeteries. Has anyone else seen them ? I have been back several times and not seen any. How long have they been there? Any mention in WW1 accounts? I have seen none.

• Admin

From Testament Of Youth

"A rich brewer from Armentieres, he told me owned Ploegsteert Wood; it had been his pheasant ground.Sometimes I wonder if the pheasants are back there againand whether he has the heart to shoot themwhere so much more than pheasants were destroyed."

I have heard pheasants in the wood, but not seen them.

Regards, Michelle :blink:

The wood is a Pheasant Shoot! Most, if not all woods and countryside in France, hold shoots of some type! Woodland for pheasant, open arable land for partridge! It is as simple as that! As for The heart stuff, do you eat chickens? :P

Thanks a lot Michelle. Funny, just today I posted this if my favorite WW1 book but did not add it's the only one of the books I consider great that I have only read once cause it's really painful. I wonder how many men other than myself have sort of fallen in love with Vera after she was dead!

I did not remember this and need to read it again. That one time I was there , my son was the only other person present, there were a lot of these, hens and cocks, lovely.

They were not in the wood but along the path between the cemeteries on the way to the wood.

The wood and the surrounding fields are a pheasant shoot! Most, if not all woodland and countryside in France, is used as some kind of shoot! Pheasants are mostly woodland birds, partridges are open arable land birds! Plugstreet has been used as a pheasant shoot by the local hunting club for years! They make good eating too! Chris. :P

Those pheasants... are... elevated by the hunters.... so they are just like chickens on a farm. Those pheasants are released, set out of their cages, brought to the woods in august by the hunters. And what a lovely hunting, when some of those pheasants are walking on a road, its difficult to get them away, they are like chickens. They won't fly..., So there is a new sport called farm-pheasants hunting....

They won't fly..., So there is a new sport called farm-pheasants hunting....

Thats just a case of bad beating.