Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mercantile Marine Medal Naming Styles

NorthStaffsPOW

Hi all. I am after opinions on the naming style of this Mercantile Marine medal. The letters seem to be thinner than those normally encountered. I have also noticed that compared to other I have seen they are the "wrong way around". Usually they are the right way up when the obverse (King's head) side is facing up. I have checked out the chaps service record (also served with RNR and I have his BWM and VM named to the RNR). I can't detect any signs that this has been re- named. For context I purchased the group in a charity shop of all places, so I can't see them messing around with it.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

WP_20190717_08_19_13_Pro.jpg

Looks good to me for a later issue medal where they only used initials and surname (or a N.Z. issue). Have you found a Mercantile Marine War Medal card for him on the National Archives site?

Seems the Mint occasionally did put the naming the 'wrong' way round on the planchet, so no need to worry there. More likely that a forger would get it the 'right' way round.

Matthew

Thanks very much for your reply Matthew. Its put my mind at rest. I have just downloaded his Medal Card which confirms entitlement and shows that his was indeed a later issue as you stated..... 27th July 1940. I wonder why it took so long?

Many thanks,

James

• Admin

James

The medal had to be claimed so it would depend on when the claim was made. Sadly many next of kin never realised there was an entitlement.

David

Thanks for that David. I did not realise that the Mercantile Marine medal had to be applied for. Many thanks.