Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Lady Linda

Off to the Somme- Any photos wanted?

Lady Linda
51 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

That would be fabulous Linda.

Just let me know where I can leave a donation. 

Regards 

Alan. 

Don't worry about donation, we love respecting these amazing people.

But we are trying to increase the footfall in the military museum where we volunteer,( Salisbury), new enthusiastic management team have taken over recently.

So if you are down this way , do pop in!

womo

If you spot graves to any Dunn's, I'd appreciate a photo, only if you have time. I do have photos from Thiepval.

Thanks

Womo

Lady Linda
7 hours ago, womo said:

If you spot graves to any Dunn's, I'd appreciate a photo, only if you have time. I do have photos from Thiepval.

Thanks

Womo

Interesting request, have you any specific ones in the cemeteries I am going to?

womo
2 hours ago, Lady Linda said:

Interesting request, have you any specific ones in the cemeteries I am going to?

Hi Linda, no particular request. Ive spent some time over there photographing the Dunns in a good few cemeteries but none in the ones you are going to. Like I said, I dont want you to waste too much of your time, its just if you saw them. 

Ive been researching Dunns for a while, especially the ones that I have pictures of the gravestone.

Thanks

Lady Linda

Still plenty of time for requests as not going till later next month.

steandpaula

Hi Linda,

just one if you can

Orival Wood   -   Cecil Otway Reid Jacob, Devonshires, 2.A.21

Thanks

Ste M 

Ilbury Welsh

Good day Lady Linda and thank you for making this offer. Whilst we do not know each other can I please beg some photo requests. I have listed them below, so many, many thanks in advance. Have a most enjoyable trip.

Kind regards to you your Royal Highness,

John Welsh

FRICOURT BRITISH CEMETERY

No. 9065 Pte. Thomas WELSH, Lincolnshire Regiment. Plot No. A.14

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

No. 20094 Pte. Henry WELSH, Essex Regiment.  Pier and Face 10 D.

No. G/18770 Pte. John Leslie WELSH, Royal Sussex Regiment.    Pier and Face 7 C.

No. 4415 Pte. Peter WELSH, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).  Pier and Face 10 A.

No. 201028 Sgt. Edwin WALSH, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).  Pier and Face 6 A and 6 B.

Lady Linda
18 hours ago, steandpaula said:

Hi Linda,

just one if you can

Orival Wood   -   Cecil Otway Reid Jacob, Devonshires, 2.A.21

Thanks

Ste M 

On the list

Lady Linda
5 hours ago, Ilbury Welsh said:

Good day Lady Linda and thank you for making this offer. Whilst we do not know each other can I please beg some photo requests. I have listed them below, so many, many thanks in advance. Have a most enjoyable trip.

Kind regards to you your Royal Highness,

John Welsh

FRICOURT BRITISH CEMETERY

No. 9065 Pte. Thomas WELSH, Lincolnshire Regiment. Plot No. A.14

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

No. 20094 Pte. Henry WELSH, Essex Regiment.  Pier and Face 10 D.

No. G/18770 Pte. John Leslie WELSH, Royal Sussex Regiment.    Pier and Face 7 C.

No. 4415 Pte. Peter WELSH, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).  Pier and Face 10 A.

No. 201028 Sgt. Edwin WALSH, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).  Pier and Face 6 A and 6 B.

On the list. 

Interesting if any of them have been in the Welsh regiment!

Landed gentry, my family tree, but my gg grandmother married outside to a lowly commoner!

Marilyne
Posted (edited)

Hi Linda,

Could I ask for a picture of Lionel COLES, KIA 1 July 1916 at Contalmaison. Lies at Gordon Dump Cemetery plot V row E grave 5

He's the brother of one of the "sad nurses" of Longuenesse, and I'm researching all the ladies buried on the western front.

Thanks a lot!

Marilyne

Edited by Marilyne

GraemeClarke

Morning Linda,

Many thanks once again for the offer. Just a few, please.

Chapelle British Cemetery

Thomas Richard MANFORD Grave II.B.6

Jonathan William AYRIS Grave I.B.10

Peronne Road Cemetery

Walter John MURRELL in Grave II.B.33

Beauval Communal Cemetery

Harry Patrick FLANAGAN in Grave G.13.

Cheers and have an excellent trip,

Regards,

Graeme

Ilbury Welsh
21 hours ago, Lady Linda said:

On the list. 

Interesting if any of them have been in the Welsh regiment!

Landed gentry, my family tree, but my gg grandmother married outside to a lowly commoner!

Many thanks m' Lady........:rolleyes:

To answer your question, looking at Ancestry many soldiers with the surname Welsh served in The Welsh Regiment, likewise the similar name of Welch and Walsh as well. 

Regards John

JulianB

Dear Linda, this is uncommonly decent of you - if not rash !

The only cemetery / memorial in the Somme area on your list is Thiepville. (There are others but lets keep in to Somme !)

I'm quite a long way down your list of 'suitors' so don't worry if you can't fit everything in.

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL - Somme

AUCHINLECK, Captain, ARMAR LESLIE, 4th Bn. Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) attd. 123rd Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Inf). 17th September 1916. Age 29. Son of the late Col. J. C. Auchinleck (R.H.A.), and of Mary E. Auchinleck, of Greenways, Farnham, Surrey. Educated at Wellington College. Assistant British Resident, Northern Nigeria.  Pier and Face 4 D

CHANDLER, Private, HENRY ANDREW, 29402. 123rd Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Inf). 29th September 1916. Age 23. Son of the Rev. W. W. Chandler and Mrs. Chandler, of Cavenham Vicarage, Mildenhall, Suffolk.  Pier and Face 5 C and 12 C

GOEPEL, Lieutenant, ROBERT MACKIE, 5th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders attd. 123rd Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Inf). 17th September 1916. Age 21. Son of William Harris Goepel and Florence Frances Goepel, of 8, Thurleigh Rd., Wandsworth Common, London. Matriculated London University (1912). Proceeded to France with London Scottish in 1914. Pier and Face 15 C

STEER, Private, JOSEPH DANIEL, 30363. 123rd Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Inf). 17th September 1916. Age 19. Son of Martha Sophia Steer, of 13, Crescent Rd., Plaistow, Essex, and the late Joseph Theophilus Steer.  Pier and Face 5 C and 12 C

Yes, all 123 Coy MGC - I found quite a few in Belgium but have not got much farther.

very many thanks

J

Lady Linda
2 hours ago, JulianB said:

Dear Linda, this is uncommonly decent of you - if not rash !

The only cemetery / memorial in the Somme area on your list is Thiepville. (There are others but lets keep in to Somme !)

I'm quite a long way down your list of 'suitors' so don't worry if you can't fit everything in.

THIEPVAL MEMORIAL - Somme

AUCHINLECK, Captain, ARMAR LESLIE, 4th Bn. Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) attd. 123rd Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Inf). 17th September 1916. Age 29. Son of the late Col. J. C. Auchinleck (R.H.A.), and of Mary E. Auchinleck, of Greenways, Farnham, Surrey. Educated at Wellington College. Assistant British Resident, Northern Nigeria.  Pier and Face 4 D

CHANDLER, Private, HENRY ANDREW, 29402. 123rd Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Inf). 29th September 1916. Age 23. Son of the Rev. W. W. Chandler and Mrs. Chandler, of Cavenham Vicarage, Mildenhall, Suffolk.  Pier and Face 5 C and 12 C

GOEPEL, Lieutenant, ROBERT MACKIE, 5th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders attd. 123rd Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Inf). 17th September 1916. Age 21. Son of William Harris Goepel and Florence Frances Goepel, of 8, Thurleigh Rd., Wandsworth Common, London. Matriculated London University (1912). Proceeded to France with London Scottish in 1914. Pier and Face 15 C

STEER, Private, JOSEPH DANIEL, 30363. 123rd Coy. Machine Gun Corps (Inf). 17th September 1916. Age 19. Son of Martha Sophia Steer, of 13, Crescent Rd., Plaistow, Essex, and the late Joseph Theophilus Steer.  Pier and Face 5 C and 12 C

Yes, all 123 Coy MGC - I found quite a few in Belgium but have not got much farther.

very many thanks

J

You're on the list.

GraemeClarke

And me too, please, Linda.

Graeme

chaz

Hi LInda

for info we are over at the moment, A303/M3/M25/M26/M20 all good as is road down from Calais to Bethune this evening, tunnel and port both experiencing 90 min delays between mid day and 6pm.

if there are any you think you may have difficulty with timing drop me a pm. I have a few requests to get but not doing an itinery as need to get on with decorating. 

weather very wet around London today and in France, nothing like the 40degrees talked about.

have a good time..

tbirduk

Good Lady

If you could find the following, I would be most grateful.

Dantzig Alley British Cemetery
IV.L.4 T. DURRANT RAF

Flesquieres Hill British Cemetery
Joint Grave VII.D.6 H. C. CHAMBERS Tank Corps

Guillemont Road Cemetery
XIII.D.1. C. F. SMEE Suffolk Regt

Lady Linda
On 27/07/2019 at 21:20, chaz said:

Hi LInda

for info we are over at the moment, A303/M3/M25/M26/M20 all good as is road down from Calais to Bethune this evening, tunnel and port both experiencing 90 min delays between mid day and 6pm.

if there are any you think you may have difficulty with timing drop me a pm. I have a few requests to get but not doing an itinery as need to get on with decorating. 

weather very wet around London today and in France, nothing like the 40degrees talked about.

have a good time..

What was in like at the port of Dover, have they still only two booths open for the French customs?

4 hours ago, tbirduk said:

Good Lady

If you could find the following, I would be most grateful.

Dantzig Alley British Cemetery
IV.L.4 T. DURRANT RAF

Flesquieres Hill British Cemetery
Joint Grave VII.D.6 H. C. CHAMBERS Tank Corps

Guillemont Road Cemetery
XIII.D.1. C. F. SMEE Suffolk Regt

On the list.

Lady Linda
On 27/07/2019 at 06:58, Marilyne said:

Hi Linda,

Could I ask for a picture of Lionel COLES, KIA 1 July 1916 at Contalmaison. Lies at Gordon Dump Cemetery plot V row E grave 5

He's the brother of one of the "sad nurses" of Longuenesse, and I'm researching all the ladies buried on the western front.

Thanks a lot!

Marilyne

On the list .

Lady Linda
On 27/07/2019 at 07:13, GraemeClarke said:

Morning Linda,

Many thanks once again for the offer. Just a few, please.

Chapelle British Cemetery

Thomas Richard MANFORD Grave II.B.6

Jonathan William AYRIS Grave I.B.10

Peronne Road Cemetery

Walter John MURRELL in Grave II.B.33

Beauval Communal Cemetery

Harry Patrick FLANAGAN in Grave G.13.

Cheers and have an excellent trip,

Regards,

Graeme

On the list.

Lady Linda

If there are any more photos wanted my deadline  is 7 August in order to have time to sort out all lists! Also hubby has a long itinerary of sites and museums to visit! Supposed to be a holiday! ( seriously, I love it)

Linda

chaz

hi Linda

we were at Peronne road yesterday, all ok. if you were thinking of going to Peronne cemetery some headstones are very difficult to read. I took 20+ Gloucester regt believed to be buried and 4 I cant make out . had a job to see there. CWGC say they should be visible from 2mtrs 2 foot was difficult.

called in at a couple of others, Querrieu and Heath, the CWGC workers are busy at both doing cementing mainly in the entrances. out and about next week, any other notes will update you.

Lady Linda
3 hours ago, chaz said:

hi Linda

we were at Peronne road yesterday, all ok. if you were thinking of going to Peronne cemetery some headstones are very difficult to read. I took 20+ Gloucester regt believed to be buried and 4 I cant make out . had a job to see there. CWGC say they should be visible from 2mtrs 2 foot was difficult.

called in at a couple of others, Querrieu and Heath, the CWGC workers are busy at both doing cementing mainly in the entrances. out and about next week, any other notes will update you.

Thanks for the update.

Lady Linda

One more day to ask. But if you are one of my regulars and you have forgotten one, please PM me.

Latest bulletin: Military Museum in Salisbury under new management and many great changes taking place. I volunteer there, so am a foot soldier and can see how things are moving forward ( to use that  current popular phrase!) I am always mentioning how great GWF is to customers , and how there is always someone on here who can answer a question however difficult !

Lady Linda
On 16/07/2019 at 21:25, deacs said:

Hi Linda here I go again so far I have the one I would like.

ROBERT MOFFAT Private 11351 Saturday, July 1, 1916 Age 21 THIEPVAL MEMORIAL Pier and Face 6 A and 7 C.View record Border Regiment United Kingdom. (there are 2 Robert Moffat's Linda I think they are together ?)

Cheers and thanks again Mike.

On 20/07/2019 at 11:48, David26 said:

Lady Linda,

this is a most kind offer.  If you were to manage to get a photo of the following I'd be most grateful:

Pozières:  Bdr David Andrew (RFA, service number 6993), grave IV.C.8

Very many thanks - and I hope your stint at the museum went well,

David.

moffat.jpg